Featured NASA Apollo Program Space Helmet

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Scott Eidam, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Scott Eidam

Scott Eidam Well-Known Member

So last weekend i met a very interesting character who worked with NASA during the Apollo program. He absolutely blessed me with some amazing NASA history (along with many other collectibles) and this space helmet was one of those pieces. He told me it was a prototype pressure bubble (around the time apollo 11) are there any science and space experts out there? 20190606_150036_compress21.jpg 20190606_150151_compress11.jpg 20190606_150212_compress78.jpg

kyratango, Jivvy, bluumz and 9 others like this.
  2. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Well how cool is that!

NewEngland, cxgirl, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

4. Scott Eidam

kyratango, cxgirl, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Now that is a cool find! My dad worked on the design later used on the Apollo missions. I guess this design never made it to space, but got used on the ground? There can't be too many of these on the loose.

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Would think this would be pretty collectible. You might want to keep a record of the name of the person who sold it to you, just for provenance.

kyratango, Jivvy and cxgirl like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Couldn't you contact NASA and ask them directly? I doubt they'd help with the price, but they might have something to say about the authenticity.

Assuming it is what you say, I expect it would be worth big bucks.

Drew, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wow, this is very cool Scott:)
    Have you seen the Netflix show Space Dealers?
    here is the website for one of the dealers on the show, maybe contact her
    http://torielazaros.com

kyratango, Lucille.b and NewEngland like this.
  9. Scott Eidam

Lol never saw this?!? I may actually contact her... she'll probably try and buy it. I dont think i can bring myself to sell right away. I really want to enjoy owning this for awhile. But if i do contact her, i will definitely let you know what she says!

kyratango, Jivvy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  10. Scott Eidam

Good idea, thanks

cxgirl and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Scott Eidam

While were all on the subject of NASA. I also nabbed these tapes that were from NASA as well. I sat down and watched 2 of them yesterday, and let me tell you.....they are really cool! The one i watched is a conclusive documentary of the challenger blowing up!?! Is has precise detailed infomation of the disaster from start to finish and says "this tape" (or a copy of this tape) was presented to the President to explain what happened?!? The other tapes look to have different footage of inside space shuttles in orbit. 20190607_072058_compress95.jpg 20190607_072105_compress63.jpg

kyratango, Jivvy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  12. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Very cool. You might want to transfer them off the tapes. We had tapes that old of our children and recently transferred them to digital, since some of them were already brittle. They are easier to share that way.

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

those tapes are cool too Scott:)

great ideas Lucille and NewEngland:)

NewEngland likes this.
  14. Lucille.b

Probably stating the obvious, but if you transfer them, be sure to hold onto the original VHS format as well.

What a cool group of items. If you wind up contacting the Space Dealer's person, let us know what happens.

Jivvy likes this.
  15. evelyb30

Those are some seriously cool tapes.

16. Scott Eidam

When i transfer them, i will more than likely post them to youtube for everyone to see!

17. evelyb30

If they're NASA tapes they might be under copyright. I'd check to make sure first before uploading, just in case.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  18. Lucille.b

19. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted