Featured Native American Beadwork

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a collection of this type of thing. None of my kids wants it. :(. Just posting it because. I have pincushions, scissor holders, picture frames, etc. I started collecting back in the 70s when I was doing beadwork myself. IMG_6057.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Were you traveling?? Do you think it's authentic? Or a souvenir piece? @Taupou I'm not crazy about how most of the nieces and nephew don't want most of our stuff either!!!! But, then, it'll be up to them to send it to auction then!!!!! And hoping some of them are smart enough to NOT get too skun!!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Nice Iroquois whimsey boot.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

show some frames....I always liked those...

judy, Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I love them too. I've got a couple in not very good condition myself. Made to sell but charming I think. Love to see yours!

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

This is the only piece not packed away and I'm not sure why it was out. I'll try and find the box they're in. Anyone old enough to remember a radio show called Fibber McGee's Closet? My mother talked about it. He'd open the door and you'd hear the sounds of things crashing out. That's my attic.

7. komokwa

i just can't part with my Mohawk Saint..........

P7250431.JPG

8. komokwa

sold this old headdress a long time ago.....
    someone clipped off all the feathers..................jerk !

iroh1.JPG iroh2.JPG iroh4.JPG

9. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Here's a current list of similar tourist trade items on eBay, also sometimes referred to as Niagara Falls , or "puffy" work. These might help you ID and value your pieces. Note, these are asking prices, not realized sales! There's also a reference book on there that you could consult. If you intend to sell them, I'd recommend repairing the broken strands first, since you are a beader. I'd love to see images of the frames also, please! https://www.ebay.com/b/Iroquois-US-Native-American-Beads-Beadwork-1800-1934/150011/bn_92838274

10. say_it_slowly

Maybe some bugs ate the feathers and left just ugly bits. I found that clothing moths will eat feather:(.

These are all of mine in not so perfect condition. The first I love the most and the last I don't think is NA but it's old and beaded so I threw it in. The Seneca Museum in Salamanca, NY has a nice collection on display or at least they did several years ago.

upload_2020-4-6_13-14-55.png
    upload_2020-4-6_13-13-23.png

upload_2020-4-6_13-10-47.png

upload_2020-4-6_13-9-5.png

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I always wanted to display them. For awhile, they were on loan to a local historical museum. It's funny because the museum closed and I thought they were lost. Ten years went by and they reopened in a new location. Jon was over rekeying the locks and he overheard the two ladies talking about the box of Native American beadwork they found in a closet and what they should do with it. Lo and behold, my lost collection and I were reunited.

12. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

What an interesting story about the journeys of your beadwork! The heart is very vibrant and seems to be in great condition. The last item, is it red yarn between the beads? They look like rosebuds.

Christmasjoy and say_it_slowly like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

Yes yarn flowers and clear glass beads. I tried to figure out if it could be NA but I think the consensus on the Ebay boards awhile back was that it wasn't. It's 6" x 7" with a coarse burlap like fabric under the roses and beads with a plain red cotton on the back. It still has a few loops of beads around the edges so I assume they went all the way around. :) If anyone knows what it's likely to be other than some old homemade project love to hear. I lightened the photos a bit to make the details easier to see.
    upload_2020-4-6_21-58-19.png
    upload_2020-4-6_22-1-28.png

14. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

What fun stuff! I have a few like items myself.
    Leslie

Draft saved Draft deleted