Native American Bust? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by moontymes, Nov 7, 2019.

1. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    This is a small bust of around 4 1/4" tall. Looks to be made of clay or pottery. On one ear there is a small hole, and I can hear a tiny object inside, like a very small pebble. There is no hole on the other side. Anyone know what this object is, where it's from and the age? Thanks so much in advance. IMG_5462.jpg IMG_5463.jpg IMG_5464.jpg IMG_5465.jpg IMG_5466.jpg

J Dagger likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. moontymes

Thank you so much! Really appreciate that link.

i need help likes this.
  4. moontymes

Do you think this is a vintage reproduction, or genuinely old?

i need help likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Other members on the Forum would be better able to say.

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The original is a stucco portrait head, recovered from the tomb of K’inich Janaab’ Pakal, the king who ruled in the Mayan city of Palenque from 615 to 683 AD. It has been frequently reproduced (usually in ceramic) since excavation of the tomb in the 1950s, and is a common souvenir for tourists. Sometimes referred to as the "head of Palenque", before Mayan hieroglyphics could be translated to reveal his identity. The original is on display in the National Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City.

"In addition to the remains of Pakal, precious materials such as jade, shells, pearls, and obsidians were discovered inside the sarcophagus. This idealized portrait of Pakal associates the king with the Maya maize god (his hair is meant to resemble corn silk). It was also found in the tomb and reveals the Maya ideal of beauty, as seen in the king’s oval face, elongated nose, and high cheekbones. His finely sculpted features and realistic portrayal reveal the naturalism of Classic Maya figurative sculpture."
    https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/art-americas/early-cultures/maya/a/palenque-classic-period

Figtree3, moontymes and i need help like this.
  7. moontymes

Thanks 2manybooks! That was really helpful to me. I really appreciate it :)

2manybooks likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

You are welcome. :)

9. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Is there only one hole? I was thinking it must be an ocarina with the hole and the pebble like object inside. I think it would require at least two holes though. I found a clay one from somewhere in Mesoamerica in the shape of a crocodile/alligator/cayman recently.

10. 2manybooks

The hole was probably made to allow hot gases to escape during the firing - usually placed on the bottom of a figure. The "pebble" rattling inside may be the bit of clay that was pushed inside while making the hole.

Bakersgma and J Dagger like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted