Featured Native American collection

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wcubed, Nov 29, 2019.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yes...they live in proximity ..share technique ...and fibers..... the Hupa hats ..I know well...& the real mush bowls.....the baskets....wellll..... @Taupou ...help please !!!

judy and 2manybooks like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm fascinated by the long green bead piece. If I were not seeing it in this context, I would have said it's flapper era, meant to be worn knotted while you do the Charleston.

judy and wcubed like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I would agree with a Hupa/Yurok attribution for the basket.

judy, wcubed, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Native American art is a rather specialized area, made more difficult since every item is hand crafted, and therefore is unique, not something one can look up and find hundreds of identical pieces. It is unlikely that a general antiques appraiser is going to be able to accurately identify some items, despite their expertise or confidence that they can. Even if they are competent in Native American pottery, or bead work, they may not have expertise in jewelry or weaving, for example.

Additionally, the lack of fringe on both ends isn't necessarily proof that it is Navajo. Mexican copies of Navajo rugs have been made for years, with no fringe visible. There are additional ways to tell, however. But the key is, if it is woven with fringe on both ends, it can't be Navajo.

The appraisal for the rug in question was likely based on it being Native American, rather than Mexican, resulting in an estimate which is "significantly inflated," to put it gently.

We would like to see some photos of the other rugs, however. Authentic Navajo rugs will be worth more than comparable sized Mexican rugs, since they are each individually handmade, as opposed to being woven on a partially mechanized loom, where multiples can be produced in series.

judy, wcubed, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

In answer to the Hupa/Yurok basket, unless one has documented proof of who the weaver was, it is just about impossible to tell sometimes, since the same techniques and materials are used by neighboring tribes.

And sometimes, not even by tribes living close to one another. The Siletz, of the central Oregon coast, for example, made hats that look like Northern California Yurok, or Hupa, or Kurok hats.

In addition, trading was fairly common between often widely separated tribes, so just because a hat was owned and worn by a member of a specific tribe, doesn't necessarily mean it was made by a member of that tribe.

judy, 2manybooks and Bronwen like this.
  6. komokwa

The appraisal for the rug in question was likely based on it being Native American, rather than Mexican, resulting in an estimate which is "significantly inflated," to put it gently.

You're a very nice person !!!:):):)

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. EricaStormCirca1983

EricaStormCirca1983 New Member

Seen alot of German and seen alot of Native American pieces, haven't seen tribal with swastikas together before. Interesting

8. komokwa

upload_2020-1-26_3-28-53.jpeg upload_2020-1-26_3-29-34.jpeg

upload_2020-1-26_3-30-31.jpeg

upload_2020-1-26_3-31-16.jpeg upload_2020-1-26_3-32-33.jpeg upload_2020-1-26_3-33-2.jpeg

I could go on for days...........weeks even....without scratching the surface...

upload_2020-1-26_3-37-18.jpeg

9. EricaStormCirca1983

EricaStormCirca1983 New Member

I knew it was good luck originally before association of German propoganda, didn't realize the presence of it in other cultures

komokwa likes this.
  10. komokwa

Northwest coast....circa 1900

upload_2020-1-26_3-44-40.jpeg upload_2020-1-26_3-45-31.jpeg upload_2020-1-26_3-45-50.jpeg upload_2020-1-26_3-46-4.jpeg

kyratango and judy like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    A lot of Ohio River potteries used the symbol for years. I have pitchers and salt containers with the symbol.
    greg

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  12. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

I believe my mother still has a quilt that my great grandmother started in the 1930s that featured the Indian good luck symbol. Because of Hitler, she set it aside and never finished it.

13. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Swastika also used in japan and india as a religious symbol.

all_fakes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted