Native American handled Basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by billyd3us, Oct 10, 2017.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I was told by the lady I got this from that it was Native American. Was I lied to again by another con lady ?

Thank You

Billy D. 086.JPG 087.JPG 088.JPG 089.JPG 090.JPG

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's not Native American, if that's what you are wondering.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's not even a basket...it's a sisal handbag.....for shopping at the market..
    Billy...stay away from NA items.

4. billyd3us

Thank you Taupou, I wish I knew more about stuff, tired of getting lied to by sellers.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. billyd3us

Thanks, I will try and stay away ...

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Billyd3us, I'm going to be your "old mother hen" for just a few minutes here. First by asking some questions about how you "found" the basket and how the "con lady" "found" you. I hope my questions aren't too harsh. ;)

Was this an on-line purchase or an in-person purchase?

Was the basket clearly "advertised"/labeled as "Native American" OR did you start the ball rolling on the buying by asking her if it was Native American?

What other "Native American?" items did the woman have for sale?

Was the "con lady" also selling all kinds/sorts of other items (a jumble of stuff out of kitchen drawers or an old shed/barn) not just "Native American" items?

7. komokwa

Con- she ain't no Lady !!

8. billyd3us

Good morning, no worries here..I found at a yard sale, it was a lady about 75 or so, she had some Native pots but modern ones, you know the white one's with drawings on them. I picked up the basket and asked her what kind of basket it was, she said it came from the Indians, I asked what Indians, she said she couldn't remember.

9. billyd3us

your right about that, can't believe even older senior people do this.

10. komokwa

some folks will tell you anything to get you to buy their stuff......young and old !

11. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

And in the interest of complete fairness, some people believe what they were told fifty years ago and because they have believed it for fifty years take it as the truth..............even if it ain't!

The truth is that somewhere along the line someone "named" an object through either blind ignorance or purposeful deceit and that "name" has stuck like spandex to a Kardashian arse................and neither is particularly attractive.........

Christmasjoy, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  12. billyd3us

Yeah, I believe that goes on around here a lot because lot's of people here are on government assistance.

13. billyd3us

Very well said Mansons. You are right about that, I didn't think about that but now it makes sense to me, Thank you for telling me this.

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Mansons2005, you ARE a TREASURE!!!! I'm STILL rolling on the floor after THAT one.....(EVEN DH roared!!!):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

15. Mansons2005

It probably would have been better said if I could resist the impulse to EXPOUND on a subject as opposed to just saying "give the old broad the benefit of the doubt - she's probably just repeating what her husband told her 50 years ago - not everyone is out to deceive........though, yeah, some are.........and that is what makes this particular game so dangerous and frustrating..............but ah, my friends, the possible rewards!

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  16. Mansons2005

(looking ever so innocent, Mansons replied) "What is so amusing about blind ignorance or purposeful deceit?"

17. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Billy, it's obvious you are attracted to baskets. That's not a bad thing, and as long as you aren't paying "Native American basket" prices for them, you are probably okay. Every small purchase adds up to your experience and education.

However, I'd suggest you first invest in a book, specifically Art of the Basket, Traditional Basketry from Around the World by Bryan Sentance. It's the best single reference I've found about basketry. And I doubt if I've ever "read" the whole book. It's the photos that are the main thing. Nearly every basket that's frequently mistaken for an Indian basket is in there. (The only criticism I have is that the captions aren't always next to the photos, they seem oddly placed, but it's a minor inconvenience that one gets used to.)

You are doing the right thing by posting your questions here, because of the laws regarding identifying "Native American" items offered for sale. But I think that basketry book would also be a big help.

18. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Truer words were never spoken (except perhaps for Taupou's advice about that great book).
    I often find it very sad to see an ebay listing for a basket, or mask, or totempole, that the seller is so proud of, which has been in his collection for years......but which I instantly recognize as an imported fake, or just a misattribution.
    "Bought years ago from a lady on an Indian reservation in the Southwest." (But it is a Chinese basket)
    "Bought years ago in Alaska." (But it is an Indonesian import)
    "Belonged to my Grandmother who loved Native American items." (But she never visited an import shop, or received a gift from someone who knew of her interests?)

And a PS about what makes that book so great: there are many guides to Native items, and nearly all of them have many pages of pictures of native pots, carvings, baskets.....but most of them have not a word about the many items frequently mistaken for native, or about the outright fakes.
    That makes life very hard for the beginner, who has no way to distinguish the real from those that seem similar to a beginner's eyes.
    A book that actually includes items frequently mistaken for Native American is a real treasure.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  19. Mansons2005

As are those of you sharing your knowledge and experience with Billy!

20. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Mansons2005, nothing.....it was just the way you worded your comment.....Aand the fact that DH isn't really a fan of the Kardashs.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted