Featured Native American knife dagger? Tribe? From what jaw?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by alynnfin, Aug 11, 2021.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I bought this piece of Native American hand carved piece and have no clue as to what tribe or what animal the jaw bone (I assume) is from. Anything really, except it is a hand carved flint handle? Or is it just for looks? How did they use it? 1436A994-BAD3-402E-BF5E-C807D58AD677.jpeg 5E26A505-DB55-4999-9F76-8EE25DDADB6B.jpeg C2E8FE35-D3A3-42B1-8D3F-B4586198C274_4_5005_c.jpeg

judy, LauraGarnet02 and ulilwitch like this.
  2. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The jaw bone is the handle.

judy, Boland, ulilwitch and 1 other person like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's nice...but no way to tell who made it or where.....and it's not that old..

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The jaw bone looks like it came from a pig, with the forward projecting incisors, the large canine. It would not make a suitable handle for a knife from any genuine tribal context.
    http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/pregastric/pigpage.html

The flint/chert may or may not be old. There are many modern knappers who recreate stone tools.

I believe the whole thing is just an artistic creation. It is not a genuine artifact.

smallaxe, judy, Potteryplease and 5 others like this.
  6. alynnfin

judy likes this.
  7. alynnfin

Well, darn. The jawbone and teeth at least look old. The carving on it, I have no clue. That is disappointing.

judy likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

If you google "flint knife" and select "images" you will see many modern creations, as well as instructions on how to make your own.

judy likes this.
  9. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Adding: I think it was intended to be more a knife than a club; the jawbone portion would be considered the handle, and the flint portion considered the blade; as you can see, it would not be comfortable for any practical use. I'd agree it is more likely a modern re-creation than an old artifact. It is interesting though, and would have some value as a curio or display object, for those who like such things.
    A "mountain-man" recreator might love it;
    Here's a comparable modern re-creation, with a raccoon jawbone and stone blade, from knife

B7DDB766-F497-4BD7-A127-8C4A6FF30767_1024x1024.jpg

judy, komokwa, Potteryplease and 3 others like this.
  10. alynnfin

There is hope. Thank you for this information. I will get rid of it. Again, thank you that was close to this one.

judy and all_fakes like this.
  11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Looks like "Briar Creek" refers to a seller active on ebay who has a source for knapped blades and custom handles and sells knives "made by standsbyriver here at the trading post" in North Carolina; compare
    this listing

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. alynnfin

Does look like them, except theirs look a little more professionally done. But enough so that I am going to ask them if this one is theirs. Thank you for the direction. alynnfin

all_fakes likes this.
  13. alynnfin

Not them but good find.

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted