Featured Native Beaded Leather Items

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by kraftblue, Mar 6, 2021.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Bought these at an estate sale. The bag especially is dry. Not sure of origin. Can I use saddle soap on these?
    bead1.JPG bead2.JPG bead3.JPG bead4.JPG bead.JPG

TraceyB, KSW, reader and 2 others like this.
  2. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

*jealous* *jealous* *jealous* great finds! :)

TraceyB, KSW and reader like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The bag looks like it is made of brain tanned leather. You should not use saddle soap or any other kind of "dressing" on this type of leather. Such treatments would seriously alter the surface characteristics of the leather and, in the long term, make it even stiffer.

If you would like the fringe to lie flat for display, you could try a small amount of humidification. Find a plastic container with a tight fitting lid. It needs to be large enough to lay the bag in flat, along with a small cup of water. Lay a paper towel or soft cloth in first, then the bag and the cup of water. Do not get water directly on the leather. Put the lid on and leave it for a few hours, then check to see if the leather has relaxed enough that you can reshape it. It may take awhile, but don't leave it in so long that you risk it getting moldy. When it is sufficiently flexible, lay the bag on a paper towel/cloth and carefully flatten out the fringe. Lay more paper towels on top, and use some light weights to keep things flat for a few hours.

I should warn that there may be some risk to the beadwork any time you introduce moisture (even as a vapor). If the glass is poor quality (if you see any beads that have split, or any white powdery material on them) it would be best to avoid any moisture. Adding too much moisture can also cause the thread to swell inside the beads, which may break any that are unstable.

Do not be tempted to use steam, which would be bad for everything.

The bag does look like it is Native American, but I cannot place the style of beadwork more specifically. Perhaps @komokwa would have an idea.

TraceyB, pearlsnblume and reader like this.
  4. kraftblue

Thank you Van and 2many!

TraceyB, Van_Poperin and 2manybooks like this.
  5. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the bag is brain tanned, especially the fringe. A closer up photo would show the surface texture better. Is the leather surface on the inside of the bag smooth or a little fuzzy like the outsid?
    Agree with other advice. No saddle soap and especially important not to get wet if brain tanned.
    The other item looks like commercial tanned leather.

TraceyB and 2manybooks like this.
  6. kraftblue

Here is a closeup of the back. Inside feels a little fuzzy like the back
    bag.JPG

TraceyB likes this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Good call on the fringe. I was not able to enlarge the first photos on my computer, but looking at them on my phone I can make them bigger.

TraceyB likes this.
  8. kraftblue

@Taupou any idea on the origin of my beaded bag?

TraceyB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted