Featured Native Northwest / formline artist signature assistance

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by NaturallyArizona, Dec 31, 2020.

1. NaturallyArizona

NaturallyArizona New Member

native formline 1.jpg native formline title eagle and the copper.jpg native formline signature.jpg I had never seen a native formline (thanks internet) piece before yesterday. Came across this striking print and just had to have it. Now, I'm trying to work out who it's attributed to.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The print size is approx 18" wide X 14" tall.
    It's titled "Eagle and the copper" and it's also signed.
    I can't quite make out the signature and hope it might be familiar to someone here.
    Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2020
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Naturally Arizona!

Welcome to Antiquers.........:cat:

@komokwa

NaturallyArizona likes this.
  3. NaturallyArizona

Many thanks. Greetings from The Copper State Judy. Happy New Years Eve.

judy likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

classic Northern...NWC design.....
    Tsimshian....maybe Tlingit.........
    Those norther artists sometimes escape me......

NaturallyArizona and judy like this.
  7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I don't think that is the S'Klallam Brian Perry, who works mostly in wood; S'Klallam is a Coast Salish subgroup, but:
    I note the Evergreen U. collection linked above was donated by Paul Nicholson, of Legacy; he might even have printed it. I know him pretty well, but might not have much chance to run this by him soon.
    My guess is that the print is a Boxley, probably an early work by "young David" David Robert Boxley.
    Paul did a bunch of prints with young David in early 2000.
    Compare:
    unnamed.jpg

8. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

9. komokwa

some Washington artist escape me too..........:inpain::oops::oops:

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  10. all_fakes

That is good work, anund. It all makes sense; Brian Perry was a student of David Boxley Sr. in 1998, and clearly much-influenced by him; they even danced together in Boxley's Git-Hoan dancers; and Paul Nicholson printed some of Brian Perry's work around 2000, which explains why the color usage is what I would associate with Boxley's work from around that time. And it is done in a Tsimshian style, learned from Boxley, as Komo noted.
    Here's a rather impressionistic photo of the dance group, around 2006; don't think Perry was in it at that time - or if he was, you certainly couldn't tell from the photo.

mist2jpg.jpg

11. NaturallyArizona

Gee-whiz! Thank you so much, that's impressive.
    I had tried a number of different name spellings on artnet, mutual, and invaluable .com with no luck. In less than 48hrs here, it's answered...with links to the artist and where to find their works.
    I (now) appreciate that this particular piece is not an antique, or even vintage. My apologies.
    As this is my first post here, I'm hoping I can ask for some insight into the site format and what is, and isn't appropriate to ask?
    Are questions / requests for assistance meant to be strictly for antique items?
    Or, would an item like mine generally be acceptable?
    Thank you again for the thoughtful feedback. I'm not sure I would have learned the answer otherwise. And, the additional information and links allowed me a deeper dive into a newly discovered (for me) art form.
    Cheers!

12. komokwa

P1010108.JPG
    well get out there and discover it...cuz it's worth discovering !!!!!!!:wideyed::wideyed::woot::woot:

Yes, yes...this is a site for Antique lovers of all stripes..........BUT...over time it seems to have morphed into a catch all.....and while solid antiques still show up often, many folks have taken to using us as their help site for everything from soup to nuts.:yawn::yawn::meh::meh:

The phrase " I found this at a...boot sale, flea market, yard sale, estate sale, storage locker or online auction is as prevalent as " I inherited this from my....( late relative )..", but over time " I got this at a 2nd hand store, or Goodwill, or Savers " is being seen much more often.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

That said...........if u need help with an item.......bring it on......if it's an antique , we'll let ya know.....in glowing terms........ if it's a Beanie Baby...or a vase from the florist....or a Factory tourist painting or 2016 Chinese import.........we'll let you know that as well.....:(:(

we just won't get that excited about it !!! :playful::playful::playful:

TraceyB, 2manybooks and Potteryplease like this.
  13. all_fakes

And NaturallyArizona, your question was entirely appropriate to this forum, in my opinion. Komo showed some of his collection, and I don't care whether they are technically antique or vintage; I like them. Below is a print by David Boxley, 1987; it represents the four clans of the Tsimshian people (Eagle, Wolf, Killer Whale, and Raven); and centrally, a depiction of the fireweed plant, symbolic of Metlakatla Alaska.
    You mentioned learning about the art; some who go down that road have found it can become an addiction; but two excellent books to begin with are Bill Holm's "Northwest Coast Indian Art: An Analysis of Form;" and Hilary Stewart, "Looking at Indian Art of the Northwest Coast." Those should get you a start on understanding the form-line style.
    centennialposter1.jpg

14. all_fakes

And a brief explanation of the four figures in the poster above: Eagle and Raven at the top face each other; Eagle has a hooked beak; Raven's beak carries a circle indicating the box of daylight, stolen by Raven to bring light to the world. At lower left, Killer-Whale, with a circle in his fin, and a lower circle breaking the u-form in the fin, representing his blow-hole. At lower right, Wolf, with claws and a lolling tongue.

15. komokwa

& don't forget the Fireweed.........it's a Fire Weed !! heehehe!!!!!!!!

16. all_fakes

I did reach out to Paul Nicholson of Legacy. He provided some technical details about the print - printed in Bellevue Washington in 2005 - and mentioned that in addition to the regular printing there was an edition of 24 printed on cedar bark paper. I won't copy the artist's bio here, but IM me if desired.

The artist's statement does add some interesting details:
    "The inspiration for this design comes from my younger sister. Gina is a single mother of two who lives on the Port Gamble S’Klallam Indian Reservation. For the past three and a half years she has been commuting to Seattle to the Seattle University School of Law. She graduated on December 18, 2004. On March 12, 2005, my family will host a traditional Potlatch where we will gift native art to people who have helped her along the way. The main design is an eagle which represents my sister. The two faces in the wings represent her two daughters. The copper in the eagle’s beak represents her law school degree."

17. komokwa

The copper in the eagle’s beak represents her law school degree."

technically ....it's laying on the eagles tailfeathers..........

18. NaturallyArizona

Thank you Komo, I appreciate the guidance on the site. I like it here and would like to stick around and learn a bit. I'm sure your office walls could tell a few stories.
    And, thanks All Fakes! I would never have imagined when I posted my question that I'd learn so much about my print. I can't look at it the same way now. Such a beautiful gesture to honor your sister in that way.
    Thank you for sharing the story with me.
    I'm going to try and refine my questions going forward so that they more closely fit the criteria.
    This is fun!

all_fakes, komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
  19. all_fakes

I just sent you a message, Arizona; check your inbox, on the right side of the menubar up at the top.

komokwa likes this.
  20. komokwa

I'm sure your office walls could tell a few stories.

oh... but the do.......to anyone who'll listen to me tell em !!! Heehehe!!!!!

all_fakes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted