Navajo lithograph signed

Discussion in 'Art' started by billyd3us, Aug 9, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

Every time I search for this artist name, all I get is pictures of hummingbirds.
    The back has a partial label with hand written title and what looks like the word Navajo
    is missing the rest of the name, only Navajo SA????

Does anybody know who this person is ?

Thank You Main Photo.JPG printed name.JPG Verso written title.JPG Signature in pencil.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Don't know about the artist Hummingbird, but I believe the incomplete notation on the back is a reference to "Spider Woman". She is an important figure in Navajo religion. "She was first to weave her web of the universe and taught Din'eh (Navajo) to create beauty in their own life and spread the "Beauty Way" teaching of balance within the mind, body, & soul." With her husband Spider Man, she taught the Navajo how to weave their beautiful blankets and rugs.
    http://www.canyondechelly.net/story_teller.html

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

From my Shamanic background and acquaintance with modern Shamanism, I would say the title is 'Navajo Shaman, Woman Healing'.

The artist's name Hummingbird doesn't mean she or he is Native American.
    Navajos sign either with their English name or with their Navajo name, in the Dineh language.
    Many Neo-Shamanists use animal names. They can be from any background under the sun, they just feel the modern Shamanic way is their path in life.
    The 'power flames' around the woman's head look Hindu, which also suggests a Neo-Shamanic rather than an NA artist.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Sandra, judy, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  4. billyd3us

Very cool information 2manybooks, Thank you for all this

5. billyd3us

Very nice, great information any jewelry, Thanks

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted