Navajo,Mexican Rug-Tips on buying an authentic rug ?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by bosko69, Feb 19, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was at a local shop & saw this table runner for $38.I've never owned a genuine Navajo or a Mexican 'knock-off' for that matter-just a few Kilims,a Fred Harvey & a Chimayo purse (both of which I think aren't made by Navajos).
    Any tips/giveaways on getting a sense of what's Navajo & what aint ? Thanks very much for the help.
    1.Shop Runner
    Navajo Runner.jpg
    2.Chimayo/Harvey Purses
    Chimayo.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Member Taupou has posted quite a lot of useful information on what to look for.

judy likes this.
  3. bosko69

Thanks very much for the help AJ.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The only Native American Indian tribe that weaves rugs, is the Navajo, and they use a unique loom and weaving technique that makes their rugs identifiable. It is physically impossible to weave a rug with fringe on both ends on a Navajo loom.

There are other ways to tell if a rug is an authentic Navajo, or a foreign import, but that is the main feature to look for. If it was woven with fringe on both ends, it's not Navajo.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Here's another clue, in case the fringe is not shown in photos. A genuine Navajo rug will be made with the same warp, across the rug. It will not have a "bundle" of threads for the outside warps, which is clearly shown in the first photo.

Here is an excellent web site that explains how to tell, and includes drawings showing how Navajo rugs are constructed: https://www.navajorugrepair.com/fake.htm

"Side cords," despite some claims online, are not
    necessarily a sign of being authentic. Mexican copies often add them on after a rug is taken from the loom, to make it look like it is Navajo-made.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. bosko69

Thanks Tapou & SIS,I'm putting the the 'Navajo Rug Repair' website in my permanent reference cache. True Navajo rugs,at least in my last 50 years of picking,have never been cheap (if the Dealer had a brain).

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

That is so true, there is so much work involved in making an authentic Navajo rug, especially when one considers that some weavers still use natural dyes, and spin their own wool. A world of difference from the "fake" Navajo rugs on the market. You are definitely getting what you pay for when buying a real Navajo one.

9. bosko69

Here's an interesting but sad tip on that Site-
    • Navajo Indians selling fake Navajo rugs
      • It is not rare to see Navajo tribes people selling imitation Navajo rugs along the roadsides in Arizona, Utah and New Mexico. Just because you bought a rug from a Navajo woman, does not mean you got a genuine Navajo rug. This practice is particularly deplorable and undermines the market for authentic Indian made articles.
      • ...oh boy

10. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

As an aside, on the subject of SW textiles: Mexican Serapes.
    I only have 2 of 'em, 1 of them is older...Blindingly brilliant colors, very fine in the hand...real comfort-cloth, for me.
    I should learn more about the craft an' its practitioners, regional identifiers, etc., 'cause I don't honestly know what I have in terms of age or other specifics about them.
    Pics, in Textiles, when I find 'em...fairly soon, I think; then we'll discuss it further.

11. bosko69

Whit-You're brilliant,antique serapes would make for great wall decor,and might (i say cautiously) be cheaper than a Navajo article.Some of the Central & South American textiles are also superb.Pre-Columbian fabric used to be very reasonable-now just the scraps are affordable.

12. wlwhittier

My sweet Lady has a couple of remnant pieces from Chile, where she spent 5 years as a teen. They're old, but only on the order of 300-500 years...or so the story goes. She may allow me to take a few pics...or not. If I succeed, I'll show them right here.

13. wlwhittier

Guatemalan comes immediately to mind, bosco...as with the serapes, bold, bright colors an' patterns.
    Many African textiles are stunning as well...knock yer eyes out! Their inclusion in regional garments of style & comfort...not yer typical western uniformity, at all.

14. bosko69

Some of the ancient fabric remnants on Ebay are very affordable & beautiful.Same w/ the newer ethno-fabrics.The older Japanese denim work coats covered in patches are beautiful.
    Be great to see your ladies pics.

Draft saved Draft deleted