Featured Navajo Pot or Not ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bosko69, Dec 7, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's a Mexican Isidro Ortiz pot we've had around the house (actually garage) for years.Got it aeons ago at a little shop on the coast for $30.It's 10 1/2" across by 4 3/4" high.From all I can find Isidro's work's worth 'squat'.Some of the Mata Ortiz pieces I've found are worth selling but nothing by Isidro.
    I don't think the return's worth the time & shipping hassle to do the Ebay dance,but just in case there's something I'm missing-thought I'd run it by our NA experts.Thanks for looking.

isidro ortiz 1.jpg isidro ortiz 2.jpg navajo pot 3.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Isidro Ortiz is from Mata Ortiz, so he can't be Navajo.
    It is a very nice bowl, and I prefer this to his more coloured wares, but I can't advise you.:(

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Thanks AJ.I like this more traditional look too.I think I'll probably just donate the piece.As we enter this stage of our lives we're trying to lighten-up on the old baggage and travel more (as our bods allow !).
    At 70 I'm turning into a Yoga practitioner (better late than never),and way better than trying to navigate a walker/wheelchair over European cobblestones !!!

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Not only is Mata Ortiz pottery not Navajo, it's not even Native American. None of the potters claim any tribal affiliation. The Mexican government officially recognizes it as Contemporary Mexican Art Pottery.

Draft saved Draft deleted