Featured Navajo Swastika Rug

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by billyd3us, Sep 14, 2017.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

Not sure if this is Navajo. I have never seen a swasticka like these before or whatever you call them.
    Anybody know what kind of rug this is ?

Thank You

Billy D. 025.JPG 026.JPG 027.JPG 028.JPG 029.JPG 030.JPG

judy, johnnycb09 and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

That is termed a 'whirling log' and the legs point clockwise or counterclockwise. It is a very old symbol back to antiquity.
    ~
    When they learned of the Nazis they stopped using it so this should be older than some time in WWII or soon after.

judy likes this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The rug is Navajo, circa 1920s. The symbol was associated with good luck, and commonly found on Navajo rugs, Pueblo pottery, and other crafts from many cultures, world-wide, until it became associated with Nazi Germany in the 1930s. Because the symbolism had changed, it quickly became unpopular, and vanished from use by craftspeople. Now, however, it does help date the items to pre-1935 or so.

Born2it, Lucille.b, judy and 4 others like this.
  4. billyd3us

Whirling log, oh yeah, now I remember. Thanks man..

judy and KingofThings like this.
  5. billyd3us

Thanks Taupou for clarifying a date on this. Just wish the condition wasn't so bad.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The quality looks good and it is collectable ....it can be cleaned...& repaired....but at a cost you'd have to research in your area.
    I'm thinking it's a Two Grey Hills...........

KingofThings and judy like this.
  7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I agree, it's worth keeping. Collectors have been looking for rugs from this period, as the older ones have become out of their price range.

A couple years ago, the symbols would have added to the interest in the rug. Now, however, they may have the opposite effect, similar to what happened in the 1930s. Because of the current political situation in the U.S., anything resembling a swastika is a "red flag" in terms of sales.

Our local mall, one of the biggest and best on the West Coast, recently changed their policy to prohibit any items depicting it, even on antique ethnic and tribal art, as a result of escalating negative customer feedback, incidents of physical damages, and threats of violence directed toward the owners and employees which incurred. Dealers were advised to remove items until the current situation changes.

Maybe it's not indicative of the whole market, but something to be aware of.

komokwa, Mansons2005 and KingofThings like this.
  8. KingofThings

Clownfarts being nazis.
    :( :p

judy and AJefferson like this.
  9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's probably a Klagatoh or Ganado, rather than Two Grey Hills.

One of the distinguishing features of Two Grey Hills is the use of only natural colors of white, tans, browns and black. Red was/is particularly avoided, perhaps as a rejection of its wide use in other Navajo regions in the late 1800s, early 1900s, especially at Ganado.

The other main distinguishing feature of Two Grey Hills is the fineness of the weave. While the average Navajo rug may have 30 weft stitches per inch, the average Two Grey Hills will have 40-60 or many more. The finest Navajo rug ever woven was 135, by the famous Two Grey Hills weaver Daisy Taugelchee, who wove several rugs of 115+ weft stitches per inch.

This rug looks more loosely woven than a Two Grey Hills would be.

Lucille.b, judy, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  10. komokwa

You're right...I got stuck focusing on the design.....and wandered off.

AJefferson, judy and KingofThings like this.
  11. KingofThings

Again?
    You need one of those child leashes....
    ;)

AJefferson, komokwa and judy like this.
  12. billyd3us

2 grey hills, I think your right komokwa, Thanks.

KingofThings and judy like this.
  13. billyd3us

ah man, so not two grey hills, oh well.

14. komokwa

upload_2017-9-15_23-31-18.jpeg

I'm inclined to look towards Ganado now......
    DON"T give it up until u know exactly what it is.........

judy, KingofThings and aaroncab like this.
  15. billyd3us

Thanks, it is Ganado..Thank God I ran into an Indian at thrift store and showed him pics from my cell phone. he also agreed it's about 1920

Draft saved Draft deleted