Featured Navy Yard by W. H. M. - ideas?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mo Bjornestad, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

When you first create a profile, unless you have been browsing the site for a long time first, you don't really know what you're getting yourself into. If you become a regular, you may not think to make any changes/additions to your original entries. With identity fraud such a problem these days, think most people have become more cautious about personal info they put on line. Maybe instead of asking location, profile should ask: When it is noon GMT, Jan. 1, what time/day is it where you are?

judy, KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Best Answer
    The artist is Granville Perkins, see the GP lower left. This is the USS Constitution in Philadelphia, the engraving was from a two volume set of books called "Picturesque America" published in 1872 & 1874.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picturesque_America

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think it's Meyers. Pictures by him are online and are very naive. This was done by a trained professional. It's a wood engraving. There must have been something for the engraver to work from, but it need not have been a full color painting. It has the look of an illustration from a book or magazine, maybe a magazine supplement. Is there printing on the back?

Those giclee prints are about 16" square, so that's to OP's advantage. At least this print isn't one of those reproductions.

Is that the Monitor tucked in behind?

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Well done!

Everything's from Picturesque something-or-other.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  5. anundverkaufen

KingofThings, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I haven't done any searching but does that thing to the left of the ship look like a submarine?

anundverkaufen, judy and KingofThings like this.
  7. Bronwen

Alrighty then! Some back & forth!

I saw the GP, but biased by Mo's question, I assumed that was the printer & did not search in that direction.

Google perversity. When I was looking earlier today for anything on Meyers, particularly any art, was getting nada on the art front. Encouraged by MOS, went looking again & agree, they are more primitive in style. FDR owned a set of 28 published in 1939 as Naval Sketches of the War in California. Published by Random House, it was printed by the Gabhorn Press. If Anund had not found the right path, I'd still be wandering around. Good show!

anundverkaufen, judy and KingofThings like this.
  8. Bronwen

I see only 4 smaller boats, each full of men, & a barrel/buoy floating in the water. A couple of the small boats that are farther back do gestalt rather like subs.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I get that and thought similar actually. :)

judy and Bronwen like this.
  10. KingofThings

:)

Bronwen likes this.
  11. KingofThings

On the shore back there is some type of tank or some such that looks much like a Monitor turret.

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This is the thing that caught my eye and yes, resembles the Monitor to me too though could be something else. The Monitor was lost before the book came out and I don't know that is was ever in Philadelphia though some other ironclad could have been.

upload_2018-2-8_6-38-42.png

USS Monitor engaging CSS Virginia, 9 March 1862
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    anundverkaufen, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  13. anundverkaufen

There were more than one “monitor type” ship out there, in the link I posted above it reads “The turret of a monitor can be seen aft of her to the left.”
    Here’s a wiki page that mentions the duplicating of the “monitor type”.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Monitor

say_it_slowly and Bakersgma like this.
  14. KingofThings

Yes a shame she was. Terrible weather option that day. :p
    Last I recall her prop was recovered, perhaps her turret and guns as well, and research was going on to see if she could be lifted because she was a truly a wreck when found. :(

say_it_slowly likes this.
  15. KingofThings

AH! :) :)
    ~
    Many probably don't know but there was one built by Steven's Institute (my bro's Alma Mater...obviously much later...) in Hoboken, NJ. But she was never completed and then scrapped. :(
    There were were monitors of all shapes and sizes as well.

say_it_slowly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted