Featured Necklace, is it Yemeni?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I found this in the cshop. I thought that some of the beads might be dyed horn. Some of the stones carnelian but there’s one with a hole in the middle on the pendant that isn’t cold stone like the rest and I’ve seen these on Yemeni pieces and they are usually coral. Mixed metals, the plating has come off the fastening. The round pendant is 2ins diameter the rest of the beads 20 inches. Would this be 80s tourist, Moroccan,Yemeni? Thanks.
    ~
    1125CED4-21FA-4382-A0D7-E77EA032DA19.jpeg 904BBDD7-4833-429B-AED0-DD9FCA57A463.jpeg B0B915AD-EA71-48B1-B140-95827F17F73A.jpeg BE0677A1-1F49-49A3-BCC2-0EC2C77DB93F.jpeg

KSW, kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Neither. My guess is India.
    Yes.:)

KSW, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Houseful

Thanks AJ. Think I got swept up because of that one bead. I don’t usually buy this sort of jewellery but thought it was quite attractive and I have learned something.

KSW, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

If you think a stone could be red coral, check it for tiny pores, or striation with slight colour difference. Not all pieces of coral have that, but most do.

It is a pretty necklace, but not Yemeni quality.
    Yemen used to be a rich country, most of their jewellery was silver of a good fineness, and they loved Mediterranean red coral. They got coral from Italy through the coffee trade. Coffee went from Yemen to Italy, coral was taken on the return trip. Both countries got the best quality there was in what they loved.

KSW, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Houseful

The coral feels warmer than it should so it could be plastic!

KSW, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

:oops: I suspected as much.:sorry:
    The carnelian pieces around it are real though.:)

KSW likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Glass and horn beads, glued in stones ... India is my best guess too, or somewhere thereabouts. The metal is nickel and I can't see any self-respecting Yemeni silversmith working with it.

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted