Featured Necklace with Arabic Mark

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lithographer, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I purchased this necklace at an estate sale a few years ago and I was wondering if anyone has seen a mark like this before. I am not sure if it is a hallmark or has another meaning. 3 of the discs are stamped. If I was going to guess I would say it was not made of silver. Any info would be greatly appreciated. IMG_1080.jpg IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1082.jpg

Jet, KSW, Any Jewelry and 1 other person like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Are all the marks the same? That's a silver mark, but I don't know which one.

KSW likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That is an Egyptian mark for 600 silver. Yes, they used 600, 800 & 900 silver. Think now they have standardized to sterling.

KSW, Kathy Anderson, stracci and 5 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

If the crescent does not have a similar mark anywhere on it, it is not Egyptian silver. The curb chain looks like a replacement for something that was probably simpler, lighter & shorter.

KSW likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The entire necklace is original, nothing has been altered, and as Bronwen said, it is Egyptian .600 silver.

Egyptian traditional filligree is not always marked, just like in many European countries. This is not the souvenir style, but the traditional style.

There is nothing that tells me the crescent isn't Egyptian. In fact most of this folk jewellery is not marked at all, especially when it is .600 silver. So it is a bonus some of the discs are marked. Moon symbolism is a classic feature in North African women's jewellery.
    The links with which the discs are attached to the crescent show Ottoman influence.

The curb chain is used a lot in Egyptian folk jewellery, especially with filigree pendants. I have no reason to believe it isn't original to the piece.
    The cabochon is glass, which is usually the case with this kind of jewellery. The important thing is the blue protective colour.

It is a lovely necklace, genuine Egyptian folklore.

KSW, Kathy Anderson and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

I half awake sit corrected. It looks extremely long. Is it supposed to hang around the navel?

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the information. I found the hallmark on the crescent, it is just above and left of the bead. In terms on the length, I put it on and the pendant rests at the base of my sternum. I am 5' 11". I will send it to my mom, she teaches a Life Long Learning class on ancient Egyptian history.

8. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

This group finds/has the best ethnic jewelry on Planet Earth!

Jet, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted