Featured Necklaces - what are they made of?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by LucyLocket, Feb 5, 2023.

1. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

20230205_135811.jpg 20230205_135848.jpg 20230205_135338.jpg 20230205_135448.jpg I have just bought these two necklaces and think they must be made of some type of early plastic and possibly date from 1920s/30s? The coral pink one has moulded floral beads with smaller plain beads at each side - these are quite grubby/discoloured.
    The other necklace looks like it is imitating carved bone but is some sort of plastic - it is also quite grubby.
    Both are fairly lightweight and have screw fastenings.
    Would anyone know what they are likely to be made of and also what would be the best way to clean them?
    Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

kyratango, elarnia, mirana and 7 others like this.
  2. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

I would say they could be celluloid
    Nice catch!
    i would just clean them with some lukewarm water and dishwasher soap. And let them dry thoroughly.
    Be careful not to put them near open fire though, I heard they are flammable.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and mirana like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Celluloid was developed to make use of a no longer needed stockpile of a basic component of an explosive. The Japanese did beautiful things with it. Would not be surprised if that were the origin of these.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and mirana like this.
  4. LucyLocket

Yes - celluloid, of course!! Thank you both for your helpful replies. I have now been a-googling and found quite a few necklaces similar to both of my mine. I just have to try and gently clean them now (and I won't put them near my fire to dry!).

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was going to say Japanese plastic. The Japanese did a lot in the coral color. The second one...???? THe first image looks like wood.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. LucyLocket

Yes, the second one does look very like wood! When I first saw it I thought it was possibly bone but it was much too lightweight. It is definitely man-made.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Celluloid is a possibility then.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted