NEED A REASONABLY QUICK ANSWER, IF POSS???

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Aquitaine, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi ....am at my B-I-L's house, but leaving tomorrow.....(end of vaca), but he has asked me to find out what I could about his mother's "semi-porcelain" old dishes that HE no longer wants!!! Not sure if the green and rose colored plate is included in the lot....it had a spring loaded rusty old hangar sitting on it which I took off and threw away.....no ID on the back of that one......the rest are all marked as the one back I have shown (except for the tiny ones). And while I'm at it are the little English yellow rose salt and peppers anything????? THANK YOU ANY AND ALL SO,SO MUCH FOR LOOKING AND YOUR AWESOME ASSISTANCE, as this is SO NOT my area!!!!!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Well , Im no expert , but in my opinion the value on this stuff is negligible . Theres tons of it out there , no one really uses formal china much anymore , and up until recent memory every woman who got married had a " fancy " china set . The damage ( crazing , chips , etc ) doesnt help either . Its very pretty , but not rare .

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Retail CA B&M:
    Aynsley S&P if no damage around $20
    Rose plate about the same.

As for the china service. I can't sell complete sets. However, I do sell individually, cream & sugars, gravies, casseroles, serving bowls, fruit bowls, and butter dishes.
    I do not do well plates or platters.

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The china was made in the United States. The Goodwin Pottery Co. was based in East Liverpool, OH. They used this mark between 1896-1912. As already noted china sets are hard to sell and US china is even more difficult to unload. I don't see any cups and saucers which is another drawback. I would also pass on the cake plate with the roses. There's nothing particularly special about it and the design shows some wear. Again, it's a difficult sell. If it were marked it might be another story. The Aynsley salt and peppers are the best of the lot. Not rare but very pretty. Hope this helps.
    Don

Joe2007 and Aquitaine like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

grab the S&P , & 1 gravy boat....

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Thank you Jonny, Cluttered, Don and Komo!! I had a 'gut' feeling your responses were going to be something like that, but knowing so little about dishes, I felt it only fair to my B-I-L to ask the experts!!!!! Thank you all SO much!!!!!

So maybe just donate the majority to a local Savers or GW might be a good place for most of it I'm assuming.....

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I would do, unless your BIL has a sibling who might want it for sentimental value.
    Don

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those salt and pepper shakers are the best pieces of the lot; someone out there still collects those, and there are a few Aynsley collectors. The rest would be best off in a thrift store donation box, sad to say.

9. komokwa

The gravy boat cream and sugar...I can see that on an American Thanksgiving dinner table ........no ???

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Oh, yes. As china goes it's really not bad at all - quite pretty and functional. The problem is we are awash in this type of china and there's far more available than we can sell. We can't sell fine china like Lenox, Limoges, and Noritake let alone a relatively minor pottery that closed almost 100 years ago. The prices have to be so low that they are not worth the time and space. I'd be happy to get $5 for the creamer and sugar and it would take forever to sell. Same with the gravy. It's really quite sad. Folks nowadays run to Walmart if they need these items and buy something plain and white from China rather than buying far prettier items with a pedigree in an antique mall.
    Don

ATB and komokwa like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the above. Resale on this kind of thing is almost non-existent. We had a beautiful set at our local GW, no takers after a week, and it wasn't expensive.

Folks want microwave and dishwasher friendly I guess.

But do donate, someone will probably enjoy them.

(Good to double check, though! 25+ years ago it would have been a different answer!)

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Even the S&Ps don't sell for much here, pretty as they are.

13. Aquitaine

Again, thanks all.....I think they might be deciding to eliminate the new cheap stuff and go with this old and pretty that has family memories!!!! SOME (please note.....I 'qualified!) MEN......ya just can't tell what their minds will do next!!!! Actually, once I looked into it for him....and gave him your findings, I think rather than part with it, he'd rather use it!!!! He's got 3 brothers just LIKE him.......(one's my husb)!!!!!!!

yourturntoloveit, komokwa and dgbjwc like this.
  14. komokwa

Boys will be boys !! :happy::happy:

Aquitaine and dgbjwc like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Tell them to keep the Corelle and Pyrex. Pyrex can be worth money, but it's worth more as cooking equipment. Corelle is dishwasher safe and pretty close to kill-proof. Also cheap to replace. Now if they're looking to ditch the 80s Japanese stuff... go for it.(LOL)

16. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Nice looking stuff. I'm afraid the best venue for a set like this might be a yard sale.

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted