Need Advice About Selling A Large Unique/Rare Collection

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bluebutterfly55, Feb 26, 2019.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Carolina - California... who can tell the difference? :bag:

The principle stands.

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was thinking Jim Jones/Peoples Temple.

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Think more sinister like Robert Schuller

Bakersgma, judy, Ghopper1924 and 3 others like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Jim Jones was in San Francisco - Northern California.

5. KikoBlueEyes

There you go. He's South California.

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

As we say "around these parts" ;) . . . you could have gone all the livelong day and not said that!!! :rolleyes: :D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm interested at how you'd price such items on eBay ?

judy, Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  8. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious:

i say just get an auction house already!! :D:D

kyratango, judy, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I think ebay has some rules about 'notoriety' and a prohibition on things like Clyde Darrow's underpants, where the value (if any) lies entirely in the connection to a notorious criminal or crime.

Coyness may be cute in a blushing maiden but for rellevant advice about antiques and collectables I think the posters have given remarkable and valuable consideration to a totally frustration topic.

Taupou, sch3gsd, johnnycb09 and 12 others like this.
  11. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the items have to do with L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. In that case, the seller better watch their back. That "church" doesn't take too lightly anything that may be construed as maligning of their founder.

12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Around these here parts those would be fighting words. Remember the first shots of the Civil War were fired at Fort Sumter. ;):p:eek::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D

13. caroln

caroln Active Member

OP said Southern California not South Carolina.
    My guess? Maybe some church items used by Martin Luther King when he was in California in 1959.

KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

But would these words apply to an MLK association: 'probably even has "notoriety" value'?

Ghopper1924 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

I am a "baby" around Antiquers, having joined recently, so if my ideas are off color, just let me know.
    I just found myself wondering: why would you assume that no one here would be interested in this "collection" --- whatever it may be? There are people here, it seems to me from what I read, that are very knowledgeable in many areas, both collectors and dealers. Maybe most are just compulsive collectors, but that's my assumption. Why are you so secretive (afraid?) of posting pics of what your fabulous collection is? Maybe some people here have contacts, etc., and would be able to pass word around, let potential buyers know about your treasures that showed up on Antiquers, and put you in touch with a "WOW! THAT'S AMAZING!" buyer with a million bucks to give you as you seem to hope for.
    Else, all the hinting and teasing comes across to me as almost inappropriate for this forum and for those gathering here who take pleasure not only in asking questions, learning, helping, but also showing and sharing?
    OK, someone tell me to shut up if I am out of line and I promise I won't say anything along these lines again.

Pepperup, KSW, caroln and 9 others like this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am assuming that, for the most part, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Esoteric collections of this sort generally require the services of an auction house or broker to find the right buyer. Beyond that, I doubt I could provide much help without knowing the nature of the collection.

17. KikoBlueEyes

Very cogent. Thank you.

KSW, JayBee, i need help and 2 others like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

There was a man in my home town who collected city related memorabilia. He was enamored of his collection, and told everyone about how wonderful and astonishing it was. He tried a number of things including displaying the items in a small private museum that he leased, which failed. Over the subsequent years he collected more and more memorabilia, and looked for the city to house and display it. He was turned down again and again and again. What is pertinent to this discussion, he complained about the cost of storage. Finally, the city broke down and is paying for a space now. Last time I was there with a friend who volunteers for the city's historical society, it was mainly postcards and posters, since the display area is small. The bulk is in the basement.

i need help and Ghopper1924 like this.
  19. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Certainly won't tell you to shut up :smug: I felt the same...:rolleyes:
    Excellent advices were given above, only from mysterious hints given by OP!:)

KSW, JayBee, i need help and 4 others like this.
  20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think OP could probably be more forthcoming as to the nature of the collection, but a lot of people, a lot of auction houses, want their material to be published only by them. They want total control over how the material is presented and what is said about it (at least initially). They don't want the stuff pre-published.

Draft saved Draft deleted