Need Advice About Selling A Large Unique/Rare Collection

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bluebutterfly55, Feb 26, 2019.

1. caroln

caroln Active Member

I agree JayBee. But these items must be something really special to go to these great lengths. Good luck to the OP.

2. caroln

caroln Active Member

MLK was an activist and very influential, but I wouldn't go so far as to classify him as "notorious". :D I think e-bay would approve!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  3. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

I see what you mean, but is it not true that any material published in these forums (as anywhere else) is property of the author(s)/owner(s) and cannot be reproduced, published elsewhere, etc., without the express written consent of said individual(s)?

That is always my understanding and assumption. Even if someone might know someone else who might be interested in something (the collection being discussed) would it not be --- if nothing else --- an ethical requirement to ask the owner first if he or she wanted the information forwarded, divulged, or maybe asked if he or she might want to be put in touch with any such third parties?

Maybe it's just me, but that seems to be the right course of action and behavior to adopt always. We probably all save information for our own reference and use when surfing the internet, doing searches, etc., if something is of particular interest to us; I do. But I will never use any such information without the previous express written consent of the author or owner of a piece, whatever it may be, unless of course there is a release authorization already where that information was made public.

Same applies to something posted in these forums, not only photos of objects, but also an opinion, comment, rant, etc.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's a very trusting idyllic notion of how things are supposed to work, and would be great if everyone acted like that......but there are Bots & guests & members here who can pull info and pics off the board...... as they please.....without asking please !

5. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I vote auction house. Ebay has way too many pitfalls even if you're a seasoned seller (you mentioned you've sold there before, but I don't think you've given an indication of just how much you've sold).

You pointed out that some of the items would need specialized packing which would take up even more of your time and money on top of what's required to make the actual listing.

Between that and wanting to keep it together as a collection, I can't see ebay being a viable venue whatsoever except by using "Local Pickup Only" which would severely limit your potential buyers (not to mention the boneheads who go ahead and buy the items even though they are across the country and have no intention of picking them up...or they buy expecting that they'll meet you half way across the country...oy vey).

Auction houses can take quite a chunk out, but it seems the best option given the other choices. Personally, I'd rather sell a $5k item via an auction house, have them take out their 30% or whatever and be left with $3,500 than have nothing at all while the items sit and collect dust.

6. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Totally off topic, but I once sold a big box of fragile stained glass sheets for projects for a fraction of what I paid for it. I think I put a price on it of $35 and local pickup only. A woman bought it and asked me if I'd drive the 3 hours to drop it off at her house. Yeah, right. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

7. komokwa

Some folks make ya wanna scream......oh...& that's a 6 hour drive......what the hell could she have been thinking ???

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Only about herself because of course she is THE most important part of the equation. :p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. caroln

caroln Active Member

Probably thinking, all she can do is say no...right? People try to get away with anything and everything.

Ghopper1924, judy and komokwa like this.
  10. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

You are probably right. What am I thinking!? :angelic::dead::bored:

Ghopper1924, judy and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

You are thinking that the internet is supposed to be a fair playing field where respect , the rule of law and civility are present in an effort to connect us all in a friendly environment..! :):):)
    And I laud you for that feeling.:happy:
    BUT....the worm has turned and the web is no more and no less what we make it , & true to human nature...the good, is oh so good, & the bad....is rotting the place from the inside out !! :mad::mad::mad:

JayBee, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  12. Pepperup

Pepperup Sarah

I'm still genuinely so curious about what this collection was.. anyone have any updated guesses? :rolleyes:

13. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

OP hasn't been here since June 2019 so we'll probably never know. My guess is that the collection had a lot more value in the opinion of OP, than it would have had on the market. The few items that the OP posted besides this thread were quite underwhelming with limited value and appeal.

It is easy to contact an auction house to gauge interest, so since that wasn't done I assume this was either a pipe dream or that the items didn't have unassailable provenance, in which case it sounds like it would have been worth almost nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted