Need advice and opinion about commode renovation and upgrade

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bulma, Feb 6, 2020.

1. bulma

bulma New Member

Hello,

I have a pretty nice commode, it's in good condition, no hard scratches, all corners are good, but I want to make it a bit nicer and upgrade.

I saw in pinterest how such commodes are being transformed into amazing furniture by painting some parts, adding new handles, so I want to make similar upgrades.

I am interested to paint drawers and legs into black, but not sure how to do it properly. I suppose I need to remove polish/lacquer before painting, correct? But how to do it properly?

Also, which paints to chose, it would be good for wood?

What overall you thinking about upgrading this commode? Maybe you have some awesome ideas? ;)

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm confused. This is not a "commode" it's a "credenza" a piece of 20th century office furniture.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It looks to be in fine shape without painting it. I would think some 40-ish couple out there would pay some decent money to buy this "as-is."

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Just don't take a dump in it, OK?

kyratango and i need help like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think you would devalue this nice piece if you paint it. Find something with some damage that you can truly improve with paint.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The primary issue when painting is to de-gloss the existing finish before painting to insure good adhesion. This can be done with a good cleaning first. Next you would need to either sand lightly or use a chemical de-glosser. The type of paint you use is somewhat less important. However, you tend to get what you pay for. An inexpensive paint will probably not provide quality results. The modern chalk paints, while expensive, provide good uniform results. Other quality latex paints are also acceptable. If handy with a spay can, solvent based spray paints adhere well and provide good value. They are tricky to use, in that the finish is not always uniform over large areas. Top surfaces that will get a lot of use, probably will need additional protection with a clear top coat after painting.

KikoBlueEyes and James Conrad like this.
  7. bulma

bulma New Member

Yes, you are right.
    But it's not so important, I still want to upgrade to better looking.

So you think it's good looking without any painting or upgrading?

You see, my apartments are new and modern, this piece gives a good balance in the room, but I still want to change and make it look a bit modern you know.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, how to polish the varnished surface?

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted