Need dates for Reed & Barton silverware

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Andrew Santonastaso, Feb 6, 2016.

1. I have two sets of Reed and Barton silver spoons that are the same design with different hallmarks. Can anyone help me identify the dates they were made?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

In general, the ones with the pictorial mark should be earlier than the ones with the name in script. The better way to date them is for you to post pictures of the handles, showing the design.

Andrew Santonastaso likes this.
  3. Thank you Bakers. I figured that as well. I have posted a pic with the design.

Attached Files:

4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Also, look to see if there is an "H" mark, meaning "heavy."

I had a heck of a time pricing a set of R&B Francis - I didn't know there were Luncheon and Dinner sets that are differ by as little as 1/8 of an inch and those can be marked with "H" or with out, as well.

I'd never even seen or handles a full set of solid silver flatware, so it was a real learning experience for me, trying to figure out what we had true sets of. It is beautiful *sigh*

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

FWIW, I agree with Baker that pictorial mark is older. My silver is Francis I. It was all bought new in 1966. All the pieces have the script mark. The fruit design on your spoon appears to be that on Francis I ice tea spoons.

Just to add a little trivia, the fruit design on this piece is orange, plum, and apple. There are 15 different fruit designs. This particular design was/is used on the following pieces:
    Boullion, 5 o'clock, ice tea spoons; ice cream fotk; jelly; cheese servers; fruit, tea, & child's knives according to the Francis First brochure printed in 1948.

--- Susan

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    trip98 likes this.
  6. scoutshouse

7. Bakersgma

Replacements gives a discontinuation date range for Francis I with the script mark of 1950-2015. Not terribly helpful in determining the age of your pieces, but I doubt it matters much. You know that the pictorial marked ones have an earliest date of 1907, keeping in mind that this pattern had an extremely long life, they could have been made anytime from then until mid-century or so when Reed and Barton switched to the script style.

trip98 and scoutshouse like this.
  8. scoutshouse

Right, Bakersgma...

"Old mark" will convey to informed buyers that it is older than "New mark," but not much else. The pattern was designed by Ernest Meyer in 1906.

9. Bakersgma

Sometimes the length of pieces is changed over time to match current fashion, though. Don't know if that was case with Francis I, but I have experienced the problem when buying additional pieces of one of my patterns second hand. :(

scoutshouse and yourturntoloveit like this.
  10. Thank you all so very much. This answers my question. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted