Featured Need help dating 10k ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Form3rChild, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Form3rChild

Form3rChild New Member

Resized_20171027_230642.jpeg Resized_20171027_175530.jpeg Resized_20171027_231445.jpeg Resized_Screenshot_20171029-085459.jpeg I bought this ring the other day and the person I bought it from told me it was an antique. Im not sure if its really an antique or if was just made to look like an one. The opal is pretty scuffed and has lost most of its color, but the rest of the ring seems to be in decent conditon..its stamped with 10k.

Ive seen a ton of other rings online that are very similar, but they all seem to have conflicting information. All I know I for sure is that its a 10k white gold miligrain filigree opal ring.

Does anyone know anything about when this might have
    type/style of ring it is? Any insight/information would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Form3r.
    It is a lovely ring. The style is Edwardian, the 10k mark means it was probably made in North America.
    Filigree is when the decoration is made of applied tiny gold or silver wires and balls. The motif of your ring is cut out, can't remember the technical term right now, but someone else will.
    Does it have any other marks?

3. Form3rChild

Form3rChild New Member

@Any Jewelry thanks so much for the response! There are no other marks.. I was going to add a closer picture of the inside but I wasnt sure if that would be too many

4. Any Jewelry

We love to see pictures, it is all information. Besides, we love beautiful things, so post away.:)

5. Form3rChild

Form3rChild New Member

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

This is another die stamped filigree ring,there is no "cutting out" and no applied wires.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Yes! That was the term that eluded me. Of course I didn't mean handcut.
    It is not filigree, as I already said. There is no 'fil', thread, and there is no 'gree or grain', tiny beads.

8. Form3rChild

Form3rChild New Member

@Hollyblue Thanks for the response! I have alot to learn. I'm going to research those things right now.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. Form3rChild

Form3rChild New Member

@Any Jewelry I hope you dont mind me asking.. what, in paticular, tells you this ring is edwardian? Its seems pretty difficult to tell the difference between styles. It seems like everyone (like on ebay or etsy) just labels everything as art deco.. have you noticed That?

10. Any Jewelry

Edwardian is delicate, dainty, elegant, those little flowers are also typical for the Edwardian era. The metal is often crafted like lace.
    Art Deco is more solid, with bold shapes and lines, geometric patterns. No dainty flowers.
    Many people think that if it has white gold or platinum, it is Art Deco. But the fashion for white gold and platinum started ca 1900, because it set off clear stones like diamonds beautifully.
    Before 1900 clear stones were set in silver for the same reason, even if the rest of the jewel was (yellow) gold. But after more gold was found in 'the colonies', gold became more affordable and white gold was a good alternative for silver. And it didn't tarnish.

11. Any Jewelry

12. Form3rChild

Form3rChild New Member

@Any Jewelry you have been fabulous!! Thank you so So much for taking the time to answer my question!!

13. Any Jewelry

Pleasure, of course.
    I spend so much time on the forum, might as well make myself useful.;)

Aquitaine, komokwa and judy like this.
  14. SheilaSnyder1412

SheilaSnyder1412 New Member

I have two rings with this frilly filigree setting and they are Edwardian as well. No later than WWI. One is an Eastern Star ring with onyx and the other is what appears to be an early synthetic ruby. I love that style of setting!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Sounds lovely, Sheila. The early 20th century was the time of subtle elegance, also in dresses.

judy likes this.
  16. Form3rChild

Form3rChild New Member

@SheilaSnyder1412 I love them too! Do you have picture of your rings? I'd love to see them!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. SheilaSnyder1412

SheilaSnyder1412 New Member

I will try to dig them out and post them. I am living between two houses right now and I have to figure out if they are in the old one or the new one.

Draft saved Draft deleted