Featured NEED HELP FROM YOU GLASSIES ON MY PITCHER!!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Aquitaine, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi All!!! Was at the ReStore the other day and picked this pitcher up for $2.00!! I Love it and plan to keep it, but want to know what pattern it is and am not a 'glass' person!!! I also wonder if it has under the spout what you call a case of "sick glass", which actually doesn't bother me because it's hard to see. It also had one sharp chip on the rim on the base which I ground out with a dremel sander...so no-one would get cut...smooth now!! That's outlined in red in one image. The pitcher weighs 2 lbs, 14 oz., is 8" tall at the spout and 7" at the handle. It looks like a Pineapple or Heart on the sides and front, but otherwise almost like daisy & button.....but that's all I know about glass!!!! Oh, and did I get a GOOD deal???? Thank you in advance for any and all help!!!!! Here come the images!! One got left off......should be here now...

CloudinessNearSpout.jpg

PitcherAngled.jpg PitcherBottom.jpg Pitcher-chipGround.jpg PitcherInside.jpg PitcherSide2.jpg PitcherSideView.jpg

2. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

I am amazed at how little quality cut glass costs. Beautiful and very ornate. No idea of pattern but I think you did very well!

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

No idea, but super great photos.
    :)

4. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Uh, is it me, or is that really pressed glass?

judy, rhiwfield, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's not just you, Cherryhill. I was going to ask the same question.

6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

looks like it might be Iverna / Later Jefferson
    Ripley & Co. (#303, 1911); Imperial Glass Co. (#91, 1915 as part of their Nucut line); Paden City Glass Mfg. Co. (1918)

HOWEVER....
    This pattern has appeared numerous times either unnamed or incorrectly identified as Iverna. Dori Miles has named the pattern Heart and Tassels. The pattern has attributes or motifs consistent with Imperial NUCUT patterns.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    judy, Aquitaine, KingofThings and 2 others like this.
  7. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

It's probably very out of fashion and shoppers don't know / care about quality. I'm more amazed at how much all the low quality new stuff costs.

Maybe it was blown into a mould and the top part wasn't. In the first picture there's something in the middle that looks like a seam. I don't know anything about glass though.

judy likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

I think you are right....there seems to be four 'seams' near the base and going up through the "pineapples"... if that's what they are.......Thanks Cherryhill and Bakersgma for asking that.....I too was wondering that but forgot to ask in my original post!!!! NO markings near the top....ooops.... except at the handle!!! That's a strong seam on the pitcher all the way to the bottom.....

I'm still hoping someone will come along to identify the pattern!!!! Sorry, I JUST re-read TallCakes!!! So will be checking both out!!!! Thank you TallCakes and everyone else for all of your input and help!!!!! :):):):):)

Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  9. Aquitaine

judy and KingofThings like this.
  10. TallCakes

yeah, I saw that eBay listing as well. BUT, if you look carefully at Iverna heart/strawberry motif you will notice that your piece has little diamonds, whereas Iverna has more of a daisy & button motif inside the heart/strawberry (meaning that listing is wring):
    ***I guess one might call yours Iverna Variant noting the similarities...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    judy likes this.
  11. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Whoops, looks like it is me that needs new glasses :oops:

judy likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

WOW!!!! You're absolutely right....guess I didn't look THAT closely!!! AND my pattern goes up to a point ABOVE that 'heart' plus my 'heart' is considerably smaller....JUST noticed that as well!! Also, my pitcher is a bit 'rounded' at the bottom!! SO, I guess we've come 'close, but no cigar'.....yet!!!!! SHEESH.....HOW do you guys EVER identify something!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

judy likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

But WAIT, @TallCakes, the image you posted is DIFFERENT from the one I found on eBay......my link does match up.....I totally see the differences in your image, which is very different from mine, but please check out my link above......am I missing something here?????? I want to learn this!!!! I'm getting totally 'cornfused'!!! And I VERY MUCH VALUE your opinion!!!!

14. TallCakes

the image I show is the 'real' Iverna pattern with the daisy & button motif within the heart, whereas the motif within the heart of your pitcher is little diamonds. There are other differences as well... So yours and the eBay listing might possibly be called an Iverna Variant, but they are not the Iverna pattern... From what I can find your pitcher's ID has not been confirmed but has many similar motifs included in Imperial NUCUT patterns; but no one has found a NUCUT number that matches...

15. Aquitaine

OK, Thank you @TallCakes, am understanding MUCH better now!!!!! Some days, it doesn't take much to throw me!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::D:D:D

Draft saved Draft deleted