Need help identifying 20th century drawing

Discussion in 'Art' started by Seppy3, Jul 21, 2023.

1. Seppy3

Seppy3 Member

Hi! I purchased this drawing recently from Sweden and I'm curious to learn more about it. It measures 30 x 20 cm and I believe it dates to the 1930s or 40s, though it is unsigned. It does have a Swedish framer's label on the back, but it didn't give me any leads. I don't know how likely it is without a signature, but I would love to find out who the artist is. Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

IMG_0037.jpg IMG_0038.jpg IMG_0041.jpg

Boland and Potteryplease like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's very like a photo, and I wonder if it might not be a pictorialist photograph - in this instance, a photo worked to look like a drawing?

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Please tell us a bit more. Who did you buy it from and what were you told about it? When did Malmo have 5-digit telephone numbers? Have you opened up the back to see if anything is written on the piece's back?

Debora

4. Seppy3

Seppy3 Member

I see what you mean, but I've checked it and it's definitely not a photograph! It's got a wash of something (maybe body colour?), and then it's drawn on top of with pencil.

5. Seppy3

Seppy3 Member

I bought it at auction, and they didn't say anything about it. I'm afraid I don't know about the 5-digit phone numbers, but I did find another painting online that had the same framer's label (the painting itself wasn't particularly relevant though). I did open up the back, but there weren't any surprises I'm afraid, except for some random numbers written in pencil

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, researching when Sweden had 5-digit phone numbers will provide you with a window of time in which your artist was working. That will help you narrow down possibilities. Another painting from the same framer/gallery should give you an indication of the quality of work they sold. The work and frame will also give you an idea as to when Y. Persson was doing business. If you haven't done so already, you might want to find a list of Malmo artists. And learn if there's a local museum that you can go to for help.

Debora

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a Social Realism piece, and I agree with 1930s. It is typically a style from between the wars.
    The only Swedish Social Realism artist I could find was Torsten Billman, and this doesn't seem to be his style. Maybe you can find others, using the search term.

You could also ask the Moderna Museet:
    https://www.modernamuseet.se/stockholm/en/about/contact/contact-us-page/
    That part of Amiralsgatan seems to be a large modern building now.

Draft saved Draft deleted