Need Help identifying Abstract Art signed by Chauvin? or Chavini?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Alesia42, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hi!...This is a recent Thrift purchase for a few dollars...I know very little about Art...its not a painting....but a copy of one?....it says House of Denmark on the back....I think it was framed there....and its signed in pencil ...it looks like it may say Chauvin??....or Chavini??....Im not sure?....If someone can shed some light on this...please feel free to share your thoughts....Thanks!.... rsz_20240402_211144.jpg rsz_20240402_211043.jpg rsz_20240402_200017.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I wish you had posted a photograph of the sticker but... House of Denmark appears to be a furniture store in St. Louis, Missouri that sells "wall decor" among other things which means your piece is likely decorative and not fine art.

Debora

4. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hi!....This is a pic of the back...... rsz_20240402_221649.jpg rsz_20240402_221703.jpg

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, what I thought. Soicher-Marin produces decorative art for interior designers and retailers which means the name of the "artist" is immaterial. Not fine art. Just meant to be hung and enjoyed.

Debora

NewEngland, Any Jewelry and mirana like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

or put in the next yards sale !

8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Agreed that this is definitely mass produced decorative art. They would cheaply license images from artists or image manufactures and make em look fancy to go over your couch.

First rule of art thrifting: Buy what you like to hang in your house. Worth something or not, your enjoyment is what matters.

Marote, Debora and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Well...it a thrifters dream to come across a item that is worth Hundreds of Thousands$$$.....lol!!....so far I've come across a few items that are worth a few hundred$$ at best after appraisal which is still nice.....The hunt is on.......Thank you Much!

mirana, verybrad and Potteryplease like this.
  10. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

You increase your odds if you immerse yourself in the things you're seeking! Go to art museums, look at online collections, pick up art books at the library or thrift.... All of it helps you start to really see what makes good and/or skilled art that would be more likely to be worth something.

But "because I liked it" is always valid for art you want to keep. ;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    Potteryplease, bluumz and Debora like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Great advice above. I would add... Take an art course. Depending on what one's local/online resources are and the time one has available, either an art appreciation or studio practice class.

Debra

Potteryplease and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted