Need help identifying an unusual antique chair please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MTMWFI, Oct 29, 2020.

1. MTMWFI

MTMWFI New Member

Hi Folks, newbie here to this forum, although I have had an interest in antique furniture for while.

I picked up this chair below 20 years ago in a sale up in the hills, and had it restored and re-upholstered as the original fabric was pretty rotten and torn. I have no idea what it is, despite having searched various sites and forums, and I cannot find one similar through image searching.

Can anyone please help identify what style it is, and any idea of what it is worth?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a surprisingly nice chair.........good eye !!!

Ghopper1924 and sabre123 like this.
  3. komokwa

4. komokwa

5. komokwa

up in the hills.......???
    Green Mountain
    Appalatchia
    Kentucky
    the hills are alive with the sound of music..????????????

Help us, to help you !!!!! ;)

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  6. MTMWFI

MTMWFI New Member

Up in the hills above Santa Cruz, California, at a garage sale in the sticks, somewhere around 20 years ago. The person selling it had no info to share about it, unfortunately.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

thanks...that gives us a region to go on..............
    my 1st thought was mexican...but I'll let the furniture guys duel it out !! :hilarious::hilarious:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. komokwa

9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Not a clue but, agrees it does look Mexican

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Eastlake-ish style surely?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I don't see anything particularly Mexican about it. I'd call it Aesthetic/Eastlake. It's probably walnut or cherry. The finish is ebonized with gilt highlights, typical of the 1880s when this unique chair was probably made.

It's very "Victorian" as most people visualize that term. Unfortunately, Victorian is very out of fashion, and as a chair it is worth less than you think anyway, since it's very easy to over-value chairs. Nevertheless, in my part of the U.S., since this chair is in excellent condition and a definite cut above, I could see it going for $200 or more at auction.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's got lots of personality. Can see why it attracted you.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  13. MTMWFI

MTMWFI New Member

Thank you all for your input, much appreciated.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted