Featured Need help identifying antique sideboard

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ambelle, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Ambelle

Ambelle New Member

I was told this sideboard was purchased over 20 years ago at an antique store. I didn't find any marks on it. It's in great condition and measures 60" wide x 67" high x 26" deep. Any info on the origin or value would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_9981.jpg

IMG_9984.jpg

IMG_9985.jpg

IMG_9987.jpg

IMG_9988.jpg

IMG_9992.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2021
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Thinking NW European ca. 1870-80 on this. Value is hard to determine without knowing where you are. In my part of the Midwestern U.S. you might see $400-$600 for this at auction, more in other circumstances. Nice!!

Darkwing Manor, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@Ghopper1924

Questions: Does that unusual mirror really belong to this sideboard? Is a piece missing between the bottom & the mirror? Am I confused due to only part being refinished? Or are my non-European eyes/brain just not familiar with the style?

Darkwing Manor, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Ambelle

Ambelle New Member

thanks! it was purchased 20 yrs ago in Southern California and I am in Los Angeles

judy likes this.
  5. Ambelle

Ambelle New Member

I'm not sure if the mirror is original actually.. it is attached at the back with 2 pieces of wood and several newer looking metal screws; from what I can see these are the only screws on the entire piece.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It seems to be a slightly different, though related style. I think the two parts may even have been born in different countries.
    If I were to hazard a guess, the sideboard somewhere on the NW Continent, the top with the mirror in the UK.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

8. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Married, yes. But happily so, wouldn't you say?

9. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

No, not to me. Just my opinion.

James Conrad and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And mine.:sorry: It looks top heavy to me, the sideboard is too delicately worked to have such a dark, chunky top piece.:bag:
    I would remove that mirror top. (I'll go an hide now)

wiscbirddog and Bakersgma like this.
  11. Ambelle

Ambelle New Member

here is the back of the entire piece, and the only marks I found which are on the back of the drawers IMG_9997.jpg IMG_9998[1].jpg IMG_9998.jpg

12. Ambelle

Ambelle New Member

20210913_101209.jpg 20210913_101213.jpg 20210913_101201.jpg
    Could the metal accents have been added later then? Because they look identical on the mirror and base

13. Ambelle

Ambelle New Member

thanks!

It would be easier maybe to sell without the mirror anyway because there is some damage on it.

James Conrad and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. James Conrad

Well, it's subjective but to a collector, it's a big no.
    So it all depends who is looking at it.
    If marketing online, try both, married & unmarried and the first guy there, WINS! :)

15. James Conrad

Just a couple of screws to divorce so if it was mine I'd go both ways if trying to sell.

wiscbirddog likes this.
  16. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I’ll go against the crowd and say no, it’s not a marriage. The metal fittings, which are the same on the top and the bottom, make the case, as does the photo of the back. It looks like the two were made to go together, just slightly different stains or different sourcing on the parts. I’ll stick with my original post on age and value; in fact, the value could be higher if selling in the LA metro.

Fern77 likes this.
  17. Ambelle

Ambelle New Member

great info, thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted