Need help identifying antique wood carving

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Shaemanuatahua, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Shaemanuatahua

Shaemanuatahua New Member

Hi everyone.
    I just got hold of this beauty and would love to find out who he is.
    The people I got him from had him for 30 years.
    He's definitely hand carved, not one piece.
    Can't find anything similar on Google except for a page that sells pictures and called him primitive man.
    Every help appreciated.
    Thank you Screenshot_20220104-183539_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20220104-183532_Facebook.jpg

2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

judy and Houseful like this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Potteryplease is being kind. This positively is not an antique, and has absolutely no connection with any tribe.

It is an all-too-common contemporary export from Indonesia, designed for the tourist market, and for the inexperienced, unaware buyer, who thinks they are buying something else.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

judy and Potteryplease like this.
  5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Adding a general note on contemporary export carvings, from Indonesia and elsewhere: such things can indeed be "old" or "in the family for 30 years" (aside from mistakes or incorrect memories) because such carvings have been made for many years; the earliest I know of were made in the 1970s and are still being made today, in exactly the same styles. And I'm sure there are even older examples.
    In correspondence I've sometimes been told that an item must be genuine because "Grandma had it since 1980."
    Errors aside, there is no reason Grandma couldn't have bought an Indonesian export carving in 1980....in a style that is still being made today.
    How often have we heard "from an old estate" or "from a 50-year collection" or "from a collector of ethnographic antiques?" That sort of provenance just doesn't mean much.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So agree. Thirty years ago was only 1992, well into the age of mass tourism.

Debora

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You like him....nothing else matters....;)
    he's great for a backyard conversation piece..!!!:)

Potteryplease and all_fakes like this.
  8. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Yikes! Was 1992 really 30 years ago?!?

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted