Need Help Identifying Artist and Drawing Name

Discussion in 'Art' started by djace564, Nov 25, 2016.

1. djace564

djace564 Member

I have a print of a drawing that I need help identifying. I don't know anything about it, and I can't even make out the name in the bottom corner. I thought it was "Eli Heston", but nothing comes up in Google.

Thanks in advance.

Optimized-P1050438.JPG Optimized-P1050439.JPG Optimized-P1050440.JPG

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Work appears to be copies or reinterpretations of Delft "Golden Age" paintings. Here, for instance is a painting by Pieter de Hooch.

Debora

Peter de Hooch.jpg

Figtree3 and djace564 like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

djace564 likes this.
  5. djace564

djace564 Member

Hmmmm interesting. I think Ell Hester would seem the most likely, going by the fact they have been listed on Ebay as that. Although now I'm wondering if it's Edward Hester instead :/

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It is a Pieter de Hooch painting-by-pieter-de-hooch-late-dutch-school-interior-of-a-dutch-C5C99N.jpg

Figtree3 and djace564 like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

8. Figtree3

9. Figtree3

Coming back to this thread... After going through many references to E. M. Hester with no further information, I just found a reference referring to Miss E. M. Hester as an engraver of mezzotints. This is from a publication called The Builder, from 1906. She is mentioned near the bottom of the far right column on this page:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=Mj9OAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA461&lpg=PA461&dq="e.+m.+hester"+engraver&source=bl&ots=TwtBl7OFYO&sig=C37T4Ry2IOqplO_1EdxtbFf0EKQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwif4OK4rc_QAhVp2IMKHQb_A7E4ChDoAQg6MAc#v=onepage&q="e. m. hester" engraver&f=false

The reason I am investigating this is the suggestion that it might be Edward Gilbert Hester. Besides the fact that his middle initial was "G" instead of "M" I am finding that most of the dated pieces by E. M. Hester include dates after 1903, which was when Edward Gilbert Hester died. (Wild thought: I wonder whether E. M. Hester was related to Edward Gilbert Hester?)

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  10. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

How cool is THAT!!!!!!!!!! Nice find Architrave!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted