Need help identifying chandelier

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jeff Taylor, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Jeff Taylor

Jeff Taylor New Member

Home was built in 1865 or 1887(Home sale said 1865 but historical society said 1887) and upgraded in 1929(kitchen lined with newspaper from 1929 as a vapor barrier.) Anyone able to help identify it?

I'm unsure how to pull the bell off to look into the top. With the freying of the wires I know at that point I will have to rewire it. Any help from the photos? 20200221_172420.jpg 20200221_170306.jpg 20200221_170124.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. Jeff Taylor

Jeff Taylor New Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Surprised by difficultly dating house; 1865 or 1887 is a pretty big spread. Your hanging fixture isn't original obviously (as house wouldn't have been electrified at either date.) More likely part of upgrade.

Debora

kyratango, Fid and Jeff Taylor like this.
  4. Jeff Taylor

Jeff Taylor New Member

I kind of assumed it was part of the 1929ish upgrade with the other wall lighting 20200221_182515 (Small).jpg fixtures in the home

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah. Look right. And how fun. Layers of history are one of the things that make a house a home.

Debora

Jeff Taylor likes this.
  6. Jeff Taylor

Jeff Taylor New Member

Absolutely. Now to figure out how to access the bell top without having to rewire it.

Thank you for your reply.

7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Those look like separate pieces in the close up but after all this time, I doubt it would be safe to try to disassemble in place to look at the wiring.

8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Does the house still have tube & nob wiring?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. Jeff Taylor

Jeff Taylor New Member

No longer tube and knob. The bell housing spins so its separate pieces.

Draft saved Draft deleted