Need help identifying furniture and wood used

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by RichinGA, Oct 29, 2023.

1. RichinGA

RichinGA New Member

IMG_8842.jpeg IMG_8846.jpeg IMG_8861.jpeg I have an antique buffet table that belonged to my Grandparents, and is likely 60-80 years old. (My Grandparents lived in High Point, NC, so I am assuming this piece was made in the furniture capital of the World). I am trying to identify the manufacturer, and more importantly the type of wood(s) that are used. I can pick out the mahogany, but I can’t tell if it’s solid or just veneers on the top, front, and sides. There look to be other woods used on the inside, but I don’t know how to identify them. Here are some pics:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  2. RichinGA

RichinGA New Member

In looking more thoroughly at the buffet table I saw that it was made by “Limberts”, and was made prior to 1944. Let me know if anyone is familiar with this maker. IMG_8907.jpeg

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Limbert is well known for their arts and crafts period furniture. It is well sought after. This later piece in a Hepplewhite style, not so much. Would be mahogany veneers and solids of another wood stained to match (maybe birch). The contrasting wood on the front looks to be ribbon mahogany.

sabre123 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. RichinGA

RichinGA New Member

Thanks for your help. After closer inspection, it does appear to be mahogany veneers. This picture is taken from inside a side drawer looking up at the bottom side of the top piece. Any idea what is the unstained wood type? Maple? IMG_8889.jpeg

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

More likely birch.

Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted