Featured Need Help Identifying Item

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Doug Ketcher, Oct 14, 2022.

?

Walnut Needlepoint and Brass Two Candle Girandole (?)

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Hi Gang, I figured I would try my first posting here and was hoping I could get some help identifying and getting an idea of value, please. Purchased this at a sale and believe it to be a George II Walnut Needlepoint and Brass Two Candle Girandole (circa mid-late 1770s - 1780s), at least the only one I could find online that matched detailed it as such. Anyone have any suggestions / ideas? I hope I posted this correctly... Thanks in Advance! George II Walnut Needlepoint and Brass Two Light Girandole.jpg Antique Wall Hanging 2.jpg George II Walnut Needlepoint and Brass Two Light Girandoles (Bonhams).png

Figtree3, stracci, ulilwitch and 4 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I know nothing of these.....but..

seeing how the one in the auction , which is almost a mirror image of yours...but from what I can see...in much less fine detail....it begs the question , were these items reproduced at some later date than the 1740's....?????

that , plus ...2013 auction prices have fluctuated in the past 10 years..

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id bet there were mirrors in there originally . How smart is it to have fire next to fabric?

Figtree3, Fern77, 2manybooks and 3 others like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

No idea. But Im sure this is going to be a interesting thread.

judy, ulilwitch and Doug Ketcher like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I can't add much as I don't know the item but I do know that mid/late 1770s -1780s would be George III.

Good job finding a similar pair!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The needlepoint looks different, not as exquisitely sewn, than in the two examples shown. It may not be rougher, but it certainly looks it.

judy, ulilwitch and Doug Ketcher like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum... Here's something similar from Christie's. 20th century with older needlework.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 2.51.35 PM.png

8. Doug Ketcher

Awesome, Thanks Debora... I forwarded a request to Bonhams asking for consideration to quote a value and consign it for me and they turned it down. Oh well...

antidiem likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

10. Doug Ketcher

Wow! Now that's interesting..... Kinda like a mystery with several different possibilities. I guess I better take it somewhere and get it appraised (officially) by someone who knows these things. I live in Northern VA, can anyone suggest a good appraiser or appraisal company? Thanks!

say_it_slowly and kyratango like this.
  11. komokwa

12. say_it_slowly

I also live in NoVa though a bit on the outskirts. I can't say that I know where to get an appraisal locally but you might continue emailing some of the big auction houses to see what they say. Over the years I've volunteered as some 18th C sites with some knowledgeable folks there (such as Mount Vernon) but I no longer am volunteering anyplace like that and don't know if they could suggest something. You might ask.

I have a friend that used Oakridge in Ashburn when she was downsizing. I know they went to her house and reviewed her items. I think she thought they knew what they were talking about and she was happy enough with the auction results of the things she sold as far as I know. I don't think she had much 18th C stuff though. Not really a recommendation but they are local.

Spring might know @springfld.arsenal

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    Figtree3 and Doug Ketcher like this.
  13. Doug Ketcher

Many Thanks for the suggestion!

14. Cherry Tree Depot

Cherry Tree Depot New Member

No idea. looks like candle stand mirror.

15. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

OP, did you check the nails used in the frame? If they are all wire nails, your frame most likely dates from 1890+. It's difficult to see the nails since your pictures are quite small.

How many stitches per inch on the needlepoint? Any petit point? Wool, cotton, or synthetic fabric?

Your piece could be a late 19th century "reproduction".

P.S. textile fading depends on many factors such as light exposure, pigment, etc... Yours could have even been artificially faded. You should look at the rear of the needlepoint to see the original color.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  16. Doug Ketcher

Excellent suggestions, Techbiker... I will take a look and post a couple closeups. MANY THANKS!

techbiker likes this.
  17. Doug Ketcher

ANTIQUES PIC - NAILS.png

18. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  19. komokwa

the metal does look like it sits, where something else once was........

techbiker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted