Need Help Identifying Library Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Erkq, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Erkq

Erkq New Member

This has been in my family since before I was born (1958). It's too big for us (84" by 40"). Is this worth a re-finish job? It looks like the tabletop is Mahogany. Any value just selling as-is? It's pretty rough, needing joint fixes in addition to the re-finish. But it's super solid structurally. Thank you!

Attached Files:

johnnycb09 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I can't help you but I understand too big. Welcome.

Born2it and Erkq like this.
  3. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Good, stately table. Not refinish (probably doesn't need it), but could try something yourself called Restor-a-finish (or just a good waxing), for a much better presentation.

Woutinc, Born2it, Erkq and 2 others like this.
  4. Erkq

Erkq New Member

Thanks!

My wife said, "Hey, I have some of that!" So we're gonna look at it tomorrow. I think hers is too dark, tho... she's got "Walnut".

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nicer than most. Certainly worth spiffing up a bit to sell. While the walnut color might be a bit dark, you could use it to good effect. Think a mahogany color would be more appropriate, though not necessarily more saleable.

Erkq likes this.
  6. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Try out of view. ;) Undersurface tabletop or some like that.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Very handsome table!

I purchased a Stickley library table that I was going to use as a kitchen work table but mine was just a wee short. Perhaps another way to market yours though.

8. Erkq

Erkq New Member

I did. It's pretty amazing stuff. I used ultra-fine steel wool in some places to even out some blotchiness. But it worked out to look far better than when I started.

Woutinc and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. Erkq

Erkq New Member

Right! Our family's holiday meals were spent around this table when I was a kid. It worked great. This one has castors that raise it a bit if needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted