Need help identifying makers marks of three Satsuma vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by D.Risk, Apr 28, 2022.

1. D.Risk

D.Risk New Member

So, recently I have been trying to find the makers and approximate age of three Satsuma vases based off of the underside marks. I believe that they were made around the early 1900's but please correct me if I am wrong. What I know about the marks is that the three pronged symbol means 'san' or mountain, again correct me if I am wrong and any help is appreciated. (Also one of the makers marks is hard to make out due to it being worn but I am assuming it is a similar age of the other vases)

Vase One
    sa1.PNG sa2.PNG sa3.PNG

Vase Two

se1.PNG se2.PNG se3.PNG

Vase Three
    sw1.PNG sw2.PNG sw3.PNG

ulilwitch likes this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

1 & 2 are Kinkozan, 3 is incomplete but possibly the same. These are late 1920's or 1930's.

ulilwitch and Bakersgma like this.
  3. D.Risk

D.Risk New Member

Ok thanks for the help, I will have to do some more research into Kinkozan porcelain and my assumption of early 1900's was not that far off

ulilwitch likes this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It is (Satsuma) pottery (not porcelain). These pieces are from when the Japanese economy was in trouble, quality had dropped off a cliff. Compare to something like this https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auc...-kinkozan-satsuma-vase-signed-kinkozan-zo-and

Which was made at the peak of their prowess (admittedly that is a very good one, but you get the idea).

5. D.Risk

D.Risk New Member

Ok good to know about how different pieces of satsuma were produced at that time, and if I find any good quality pieces I will have to be sure to purchase them

ulilwitch likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted