need help identifying silver marks please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by divadonna, Feb 4, 2019.

1. divadonna

divadonna New Member

Hello...
    I'm new to the Forum. Thank you for having me. I'm stumped by these marks on a pair of silver candlesticks. Everything else in this collection is English, so I started there. However, I can't seem to work past the crown. Sheffield? There isn't the usual lion, so.... Then I thought one mark might be a fleur de lis or perhaps an eagle. In one of the marks I do see an ampersand. But I don't recognize anything as a date mark. Clearly I need help here. I am adding several photos from both candlesticks. Any and all thoughts, hints, or leads would be appreciated.
    single stick.jpg mark1.JPG cropped mark.jpg mark3.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Not English marks. Looks like they were cast with the piece not marked after done. I am confused also.
    greg

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If they're English, they're silverplated. But that's not a guarantee of origin, just a possibility.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

What happens if you clean the green spot on this picture, they are exotic hallmarks but here the quality is not machine maid, more as a repoussé handwork, can be plated but for me silver from exotic country.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those are strange marks...I couldn't match them up to anything....
    I thought the 1st sideways mark with the numbers looked Russian.....but ??

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Given the bizarre appearance of these marks, it would not surprise me if the sticks were made in Hanau. Unfortunately the marks of the majority of known Hanau makers are unknown since the city did not have an official registration of marks.

Christmasjoy, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. divadonna

divadonna New Member

I tested the sticks and they are definitely silver. Well it must be Hanau then because I've looked through everything. Very frustrating....Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas.

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  8. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

I don't think it can be german, on german silver items from this period, the 0,800 does be applied at the end and stay visible, here you don't see any ?

9. divadonna

divadonna New Member

no...unfortunately no lion or 800 mark

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, @divadonna -- what a puzzle. I'm not familiar enough with silver to answer about the marks, but do like the style.

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Yes, they are very ornate .. I like them too ... Joy. :)

12. James Brown

James Brown New Member

Hi can someone help me out, i cant figure out how to opena new thread here. but i have found a set of shakers that have me chasing my tail.. can anyone help me out, i know its dunkirk, 1945-1950. other than that, value, rareity, or collectablitity.. They are not weighted. The pepper shaker weighs 88.69g/2.85oz t. the salt shaker weighs 90.58g/2.91oz t.they are about 5 inches tall. beautiful floral engraving, has a blank spot for monogramming, on both. Has three "feet" which I haven't been able to find on any other shakers (yet). I have found very few "Dunkirk" pieces online help me out
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

i need help likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

i need help likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

Dunkirk is not a "big name" in American silver. The age is not antique, and rarity does not equal value I'm afraid. Melt value will no doubt exceed sale value. (And that is said by someone who only considers scraping sterling if seriously damaged.)

Have you tried finding eBay or Etsy listings?

i need help likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HOWEVER, @James Brown, (& WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!) to answer your question about starting your own thread, within the dark brown line across the top, it says "HOME, FORUMS, GALLERY & MEMBERS".......click on FORUMS, then scroll down the list to see where your item best fits and click on that title, when you have your pictures ready (UNDER 1 MB each, up to 10 in each post), then go ahead and click on the blue button towards the right where it says "create new thread".....AAAND you're on your way!!!! Good Luck and Happy Posting!!

i need help likes this.
  16. James Brown

James Brown New Member

yeah but not to sell, just to research . I paid 40$ for the pair. less than 60% melt, cant lose on em thats for sure, i am considering putting the up for sale on ebay at a later date... anyone know about scissors????

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So as not to create confusing threads, you have to start your own!!

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted