Need Help Identifying this Mystery Piece of Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by The Collector Chicken, Jul 10, 2023.

1. My mother’s had this vase in storage for years, and she and I have never been able to identify the mark on the bottom to determine what it is. She believes she got it around the Ohio, eastern Kentucky area, but it doesn’t look like something from around here. It measures around 6 inches tall at the handles, and approximately 8 inches in length. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3377.jpeg IMG_3378.jpeg IMG_3379.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Very art nouveau shape. I wonder if it hasn't been over-painted in gold at a later date.

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Might be a lovely color under there.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Might be, but also maybe not.

5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I am probably way off but it reminds me of pieces from Austrian or 'Templitz'.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also get that European vibe. Not amphora or Teplitz (No M), but along those same lines. Germany, Austria, Hungary, etc.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

The base being magenta while the body is goldish with large cracks in the glaze makes me think that it is overpainted. If you think it is, then try first in a small inconspicuous place to remove the overpainting.

Draft saved Draft deleted