Need help identifying this sign

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Don B, May 20, 2019.

1. Don B

Don B New Member

Obviously it is a Colonial Bread sign, but that's where my knowledge of it ends. I don't really collect Colonial signs, or bread signs in general, but the school zone part caught my eye. Can anyone provide any insight into the sign? It appears to be double sided porcelain, but why the school zone reference? I've searched a bit for info, but cannot find any others like it or images of another one.

Attached Files:

scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

AE391DB1-85A4-4ED9-AB04-AF02DC14B005.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Don! :)
    Checking Full Image will make your photos easier to see. :)

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

MY thought would be Colonial Bread just plain donated the sign........

Sorry, AND WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!!!! Happy to have you on Board!!!

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    judy, patd8643, scoutshouse and 4 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think that is precisely the answer. A bit like the way you'll see a sign saying the upcoming stretch of highway is sponsored by some company. The only signs I could see myself collecting are for Burma Shave. :)

5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to find any examples like yours for Colonial Bread with a quick look, but it's not an uncommon theme for vintage advertising signs. You'll find similar school zone or school crossing related signs from Sunbeam Bread, Coca Cola, and other brands.

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Bronwen, your latest post "The only signs I could see myself collecting are for burma shave" is a hoot.

I remember when I was a child the many Burma Shave signs on the "back roads" Daddy drove for 60 miles (each way) to get us to and from Grandma and Grandpa's house.

Thank you for reminding me of the happy memories from those long ago days. :happy:

Aquitaine, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

as mike & frank would say.......it's roached !

8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

...on the back wall at the little league diamond :)

Aquitaine, judy and i need help like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just a couple I've found, but they DO seem hard to come by!!!! Maybe more a thing of the past, as your sign seems to indicate!!

ZZ 888 GMAC SCHOOL ZONE.jpg

ZZ 888 SCHOOL ZONE 1.png

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted