Featured Need help identifying this silver card holder

Discussion in 'Silver' started by tabr, Feb 2, 2019.

1. tabr

tabr New Member

Hi all, I bought this card holder in Russia and was hoping I could find more information on it here. It doesn't have any markings on except for what looks like an "F163" on the gold plating inside. Is this an identifiable mark? Also, does the SM or MS monogram have any significance?

Many thanks!

1.jpg 2.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, tabr. Beautiful calling card case.
    Could be F153, which looks like a manufacturing code. The monogram is probably a previous owner's initials, it is usually impossible to find out who that was.

The imperial crown could signify something, a gift from someone in the imperial household to a loyal servant or trader maybe? In which case the monogram could be of the person who gave it.
    Maybe one of our members who knows Russian knows of a member of the imperial household with initials MS or SM?

Are there any other marks on it?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Any Jewelry, which way up is that crown supposed to be, because to me that looks more like a 'W' than an 'M'......?......just wondering.....in any case, it's a beautiful case!!!!! And nearly forgot my manners.....WELCOME to ANTIQUERS site, @tabr!!!!

1-Calling Card-flipped.jpg

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The crown is always on top. ;)

5. Any Jewelry

Otherwise they'd have to drill a hole in.. oh, forget I said anything, I won't go into the medical details.:nurse:

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Since the "S" is not a letter of the Cyrillic alphabet, this might have been made in some other country and later made its way to Russia -- Or made in Russia for somebody in another country?

And welcome to Antiquers, @tabr!

7. Any Jewelry

Or it is from another empire. Austro-Hungarian for instance.
    The style is pretty generic of the period.

8. Aquitaine

OK!! Well, that shoots that idea.....makes sense, but that M sure LOOKS W-ish!!!!!

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Aquitaine

:happy::happy::);)

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Look at it this way: when opening that gismo, one opens it with the clasp closest to the body, elsewise one might have a shower of cards raining all over the place. Initials on silverware are read the same way: aim the business end down when reading the letters.

It's common sense, regardless of all the listers who want to W the M's to suit either the Smiths or the Walters.

11. Any Jewelry

@tabr could you post a close up of the crown? We could find a clue as to which empire in the details.

i need help likes this.
  12. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

In the U.S., you usually see 3 initials for a monogram....am wondering if that holds true most places (which to me would indicate that the monogram has some other significance to it than a person's name....unless they just really hate their middle initial!).

ETA: I'm sure that's not a hard fast rule, just throwing it out there in case it helps.

i need help likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

size would be nice.
    my 1st thought goes to English , engine turned cigarette case....with the crest added later or elsewhere.... but with no hallmarks.... maybe Canadian.....

I'd like to see the inside...in full.

i need help likes this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Bottom and edges would be nice to see, too. :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. tabr

tabr New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome!

It's about 13cm x 8cm with a thickness of 1cm. Crown looks to be Imperial Russian.

4.jpg
    5.jpg
    3.jpg

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Monograms here are often two initials only. Using middle initials is very much a US thing, in my experience. I heard once that it was supposed to be a sign of coming from a better family in American practice, but I've no cite for that.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

oh, it's a cigarette case...with a gold wash on the interior..

aaroncab and i need help like this.
  19. tabr

tabr New Member

There isn't much space for cigarettes in the case...unless it's for slim lady cigarettes!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

I agree, cigarettes would be squashed, and there is no strap to hold them.
    European countries generally use two initials. To us three initials looks American.
    I agree, it does. The Austrian has the cross below the gem, and the shape is slightly different.
    Russia:
    [​IMG]

Austria:
    [​IMG]

Prussia is different too:
    [​IMG]

All three can be depicted with or without ribbons.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted