Featured Need help identifying

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Greybeard, Dec 17, 2023.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Member

I believe this is a signet ring, carnelian and gold, Roman style (?), with an intaglio engraving of what appears to be a Roman male riding a lion. There are no hallmarks or other identifying markings on the ring, so it’s either gold plated, or very old?

It’s fairly chunky and quite heavy.

I am very curious to find out what exactly I have …

Does anyone have any ideas/information?

IMG_0460.jpeg IMG_0461.jpeg IMG_0462.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful ring, Greybeard.
    The style is certainly Roman, both of the carnelian intaglio and the shape of the setting. The indentation with extra ring around the bezel, almost like a ditch around the intaglio is also very Roman.

I will tag @Bronwen for you, she knows much more about this type of jewellery than I do.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
    judy, kyratango, stracci and 7 others like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

You could try pushing it into a bit of clay/Blu tac or play doh to perhaps see the image. Looks like the figure has a bow.

judy, kyratango, stracci and 5 others like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Figtree3, PepperAnna, judy and 6 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The ring itself is known as a collector's mount, very common in the late Georgian/Regency period. Suggests owner believed it to be an antiquity or copy of an antiquity.

Houseful is quite right, the figure has a bow & is in fact Cupid. This is by neoclassical artist Bertel Thorvaldsen:

Cupid Riding on a Lion.jpg

The subject was a popular one, part of a more general theme of the conquering power of love. If you fill in 6679 in the green box for gem number at this site, you will see a whole series of gem impressions with Cupid on a lion. If you switch the view to Text, you can read a description of each:

https://www.carc.ox.ac.uk/XDB/ASP/b.../carc/Gems2/James-Tassie&firstField=gemNumber

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Even a genuine expert could not tell you with 100% certainty whether the intaglio was engraved 2,000 years ago or 200 years ago with only photos to go by, possibly not even with it in hand. There is also the possibility that it is glass.

I'm surprised the back has been covered, but it also looks like the shank may have been replaced.

Figtree3, PepperAnna, judy and 13 others like this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I've inverted the image. Not sure if it really did much:

ring.png

PepperAnna, judy, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  7. Greybeard

Greybeard Member

Fabulous! Thank you for taking the time to respond. And thank you for the information!

PepperAnna, judy, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The figure looks more female to me - perhaps a version of Cybele, Rhea or Coelestis?

PepperAnna, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Maybe just a 'chesty' Cupid?

PepperAnna, judy, kyratango and 7 others like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The proportions of the rider to beast are not those of an adult human & lion. And a bow is not an attribute of any of the mother goddesses that I'm aware. The strap across the chest, which may be contributing to the impression of feminine breasts, is for the quiver.

Figtree3, PepperAnna, judy and 8 others like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That mount does look Georgian to me too. Very grand tour.

PepperAnna, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

As someone already said, imitations abound... including well-made ones. What history/provenance do you have on your ring? Have you tested it for any gold content?
    It may be best to take it to a jeweler for in-person examination.
    Here is a nice, but new, one on etsy now, for under $30 US. It is a glass intaglio in a gold-over-sterling silver mount:

Screenshot (49).png

PepperAnna, judy, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  13. Greybeard

Greybeard Member

I’m assuming that it’s an imitation To my untrained eye it’s a good imitation, especially the intaglio. It looks in too good a condition to be really old, I think. There are no hallmarks on it so I’m assuming that’s its gold plated over some other metal.

As to provenance… it came to me from a deceased estate along with a lot of gentleman’s jewellery (a lot of cuff links - some fairly contemporary and some from earlier times (1920s etc), and a couple of quality watches, none of which I have any use for (I have a set of cuff links and I don’t wear a watch ).

Whatever it is, I like it a lot and I’m a big fan of Roman history Can’t wear it though. It’s huge!

Figtree3, PepperAnna, judy and 4 others like this.
  14. Greybeard

Greybeard Member

I concur! Chubby cherub

PepperAnna, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Agree, you can only wear them if you sit still for the rest of the day.;)
    I have bought quite a few similar shaped signet rings from Western and Central Asia. Sold them almost as soon as I got them, because they are impossible to wear. Some were even higher than yours.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  16. Greybeard

Greybeard Member

That’s me for the rest of the day! It weighs 18.33 grams.

Also: I went to a jewellers. He really liked it, concurred with the general consensus in this thread (Georgian or Victorian copy of a Roman original, carnelian and solid gold).

He offered me £400 for it. I declined

Attached Files:

Figtree3, Bronwen, PepperAnna and 5 others like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Much Victorian gold isn’t marked, let alone Georgian.

18. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's really beautiful. Would you have it sized so you can wear it??

19. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I would find a way to wear it, and it would probably look grotesquely huge on my hand, but I would not care! :D It's an interesting piece. Not an everyday piece, but an event piece. Did the jeweler say what the gold purity was?

20. Any Jewelry

Big rings look fine on small hands. My mother had small hands and wore huge rings, they didn't look out of place at all.
    If you wear jewellery with confidence it always looks good.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted