Featured Need help on a cameo I bought!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Jun 23, 2018.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Bought this set for $45. I couldn't pass it up when it was presented like this especially at a pawn shop of all places. The box could be original due to how well the brooch fits in the box, it closes perfectly without smashing the brooch as well. The two little earrings look as if they were just thrown in as I don't think they go with the brooch, regardless I think they could be gold of some sort. The brooch is silver and unmarked. To me the brooch looks very old as does the box. I do think the pin as been replaced at some point... The cameo looks to be in good condition with no visible chips. Can anyone say how old this might be?? I was hesitant to buy it since I barely know anything about cameo brooches.
    20180623_173846_resized.jpg 20180623_173914_resized.jpg 20180623_173927_resized.jpg 20180623_174008_resized (2).jpg 20180623_174035_resized.jpg 20180623_174042_resized.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The helmet shell cameo of Cupid Awakening Psyche with a Kiss (Antonio Canova) appears to be in its original Neapolitan box. You are correct that the earrings do not make a set with the brooch. Despite the simple hinge & clasp, & slightly overlong pin stem, think the brooch is approx. 1880 - 1900. The earrings are 1940s/50s.

3. spartcom5

I was hoping you'd chime in! Thank you so much! How should I go about cleaning it to ensure it doesn't dry out and crack? Also, was this a good buy at $45?

kyratango, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Bronwen, can you tell what the signature at the bottom says???

zzz174042_resized.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. spartcom5

Where are you seeing a signature Aquitaine?

kyratango likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You got it for a very good price, particularly with the original box.

When a shell cameo comes to me in need of a bath, & most of them do, I give it a good soak in tepid tap water with a dab of dish washing liquid. Some people prefer more caution & stick to water that is at least distilled/deionized. You would not want to subject one to chlorinated water on a regular basis, but I have never seen this regimen cause detectable damage when employed once. If needed, I use a child's toothbrush to get at the crevices. This one looks surprisingly clean. It's amazing how grubby they can get. Never close a cameo into any kind of container until it is thoroughly dry. I am an agnostic on the matter of oiling shell. I do not do it with my own pieces.

I do not see a signature. If there is anything there at all, it is more likely to be an inventory number/workshop mark, possibly even a price code. It's always worth checking a cameo over for a signature. Often even when there is one there you have to get light hitting it just right to see it, but the majority of pieces are not signed, although random scratches can really tease the eye.

7. spartcom5

Thank you so much Bronwen! I really do appreciate your expertise on cameos. Finding this makes me a little happier since I lost a very nice ring last week. Amazing to see the brooch and box have remained together for 100+ years..... However may be a little too risqué for me to wear haha

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Cupid Awakening Psyche with a Kiss... and a Grope ;);)

Beautiful cameo! I would have paid the $45 in a heartbeat for that one.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful cameo! And the price sounds very good to me.

I hope you find your ring, @spartcom5 . Do you think it is findable?

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

At the arrows, but as @Bronwen said, may just be "inventory number/workshop mark, possibly even a price code"

zzz174042_resized.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like a flaw in the shell.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted