Need help on a Cello

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by jingyel, Nov 21, 2020.

1. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Hello, I just bought a cello with label inside. I wonder if anyone could help me to identify the market value of this piece? Thanks. IMG_2001.jpg IMG_2003.jpg IMG_2008.jpg IMG_2019.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, one would think they'd know if anyone would.

Debora

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Take it to a stringed instrument shop/luthier near you. No one on here can give you a very accurate guess based on just these type of pictures. In person, an expert can look at construction details and actually play the instrument. Pretty much we know its Hungarian and 35 years old...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    all_fakes and judy like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Excellent advice. There seem to be lots of Strad replicas floating around the internet, from Germany, from Czechoslovakia, all with the same label.

Debora

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. I'd give it to a poor child or the Salvation Army. nobody in his right mind would ask a shop or even a violin maker to touch it; every penny spent is thrown into the gutter.

judy likes this.
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I notice the first words on the label are "Copy Of" so kinda self-explanatory.

judy and daveydempsey like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

From the photos provided, it does look like a cheap student instrument (a "cello-shaped box", LOL). And someone wasn't too concerned about protecting it, it didn't even come with a hard-sided case.
    No bow?

James Conrad likes this.
  11. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

'Copy of' doesnt necessarily mean bad quality...most violins/cellos etc are made in the form of models from historically famous makers. A stringed instrument bearing a "copy of" label (without other factors considered) could be worth $50 or $500 or $5000. The chances this particular instrument is above student grade isn't great, but even some student instruments can be valued in thousands of dollars. Being that its Hungarian made, and not made properly yesterday, my opinion is that its worth getting it evaluated at a luthier, if that involves great cost, probably not worth it, but if its relatively low cost or free, why not?

bluumz, komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  12. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Put your FBI hat on, and question Metzler:

Hungarian Strad model 4/4 cello, BKN, lightly used

$2,295.00
    CODE: CL#5643

Metzler Violin Shop
    604 S. Central Avenue
    Glendale, California, 91204 USA

Telephone : 1-818-246-0278 or 1-888-violins
    Email : shop@metzlerviolins.com

aaroncab likes this.
  13. komokwa

that's a great phone number !!!!!!!!!!:woot::woot::woot:

Brian Warshaw and James Conrad like this.
  14. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Cellos are pretty expensive in general, so even a Korean or Chinese-made student model might be worth in the thousands...perhaps.
    It really is not possible to evaluate string instruments in the way one would a guitar for example....
    Like if you told me you had a 1963 Martin 0-18 (dated from the serial number) I could tell you it was worth $1500 to $2500 depending on condition.… but a cello or violin, not the same. As Aaron mentioned, you should take it to a reputable string-instrument shop. There is a list of such shops if you are in the US, at https://www.afvbm.org/american-federation-of-violin-and-bowmakers-member-directory
    (hard cello cases can be darn expensive, starting around $500 for decent quality, so it is pretty common for student-grade instruments to have soft cases; but certainly an expensive instrument would likely have an expensive hard case).
    And Brian's link may be spot-on; but that company may also make instruments in a wide variety of grades. Get thee to a luthier....

Bakersgma and aaroncab like this.
  15. komokwa

what a cello case is REALLY good for,,,,,,but...it's gotta be a good one..;):playful:

Fid and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted