Need help on a Maya Pottery Figurine

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jingyel, Jul 11, 2021.

1. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Hello, I bought this figurine from a local estate sale.
    I wonder if it original or reproduction?
    He looks like a worrier IMG_5623.jpg IMG_5622.jpg IMG_5621.jpg IMG_5620.jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In the style of. It is a very nice one though, I wouldn't mind having it sit on my desk.
    Prices for these older 'replicas' are good, though nothing compared to actual Maya pieces of course.

stracci and judy like this.
  3. jingyel

Thank you for the comments. Do you know the approximate age of this item?

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I saw similar ones in Mexico in the 70s, if that is any help.

stracci likes this.
  5. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

The hole underneath is SLIP CASTING and is one way of separating old from new.
    Slip casting, in general, is a process developed for high speed, low skilled factory production. In other words, slip casting usually means new or reproduction or at the very least, modern.

jingyel likes this.
  6. jingyel

Interesting. Suppose the original piece is also hollow inside, a ventilation opening is necessary, I have seen those in old porcelain. Unless the old original piece is solid, there must be a hole somewhere.

7. Any Jewelry

There is no original of this piece, this was made in the style of Maya terracotta figures, it is not a replica of an old one.

komokwa likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

No, this figure is not slip cast. It is hand modeled, built up with small clay elements (although some elements may have been made with simple molds). The hole is to allow hot gases to escape from the hollow portions of the body during firing, as @jingyel said. Your figure was probably inspired by the Mayan ceramic figurines found on Jaina Island. The touches of blue color imitate a unique pigment produced by Mayan artisans made by heating indigo and palygorskite, known as "Maya blue".

A slip cast figure would typically be made of a higher fired ceramic (not terracotta/earthenware, like your figure), would have thin walls that follow the exterior contours, and have a larger hole in the base. They are created by pouring slip (a liquid slurry of clay) into a mold, letting it set for awhile, and then pouring the excess liquid back out.

9. marked1

marked1 New Member

Hey I've got a question. I have one just like yours. Have you found out anything else about it? I assume it is Mayan, who makes it and value? THX.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

as AJ said...this was made in the style of Maya terracotta figures, it is not a replica of an old one.
    and
    I saw similar ones in Mexico in the 70s

the thread is 3 years old , and has not been added to as far as the item or it's possible value.:(

you may wish to start your own new thread , with photo's and descriptions in an effort to glean new information from current members !!:):)

Draft saved Draft deleted