Need Help Please -- Whole Lotta Costume Jewelry!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kentworld, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

If they decide to part with that bracelet, let me know please. :)

kentworld likes this.
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the pearl info! I did wonder if the bracelet is moonstone or just a foggy glass! I couldn't see any mark for silver, but there's hardly a sufficient space to mark it. I will put up a pic of the elephant pin and blue necklace shortly -- not great detail as I was using my phone.

3. kentworld

I didn't look that closely, but I will have my cousin check. I don't think so, though.

4. kentworld

Unfortunately, that's the biggest I can blow it up with any detail left. The elephant pin is small and may be of a low grade silver, but not sure. The blue crystal/glass necklace has little light blue plastic flowery-shaped pieces and beads.

IMG_0264.JPG

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

The green swirly glass brooch looks like it's made by Exquisite, they did that shape with all sorts of coloured glass.

6. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Is the elephant pin "heavy" for its size? Platinum always strikes me as heavy for its size, and I've seen an instance or 2 where there weren't marks to be found.

7. kentworld

Thanks! I will check that out. It's a heavy piece.

8. kentworld

It's actually fairly light which is why I wasn't thinking pewter. Base metal of some sort is sure a possibility.

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Yes. A photographer set up the camera, but the ape took the picture. Consequently, there was a lawsuit over who owns the copyright - the ape who took the picture, or the photographer who owned the camera. Don't know how it turned out (or if it has been resolved). Sorry for the digression.

10. kentworld

I've always liked that photo! Digressions, like variety, are the spice of life, or posts!

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, the silver and moonstone bracelet is a winner!

kentworld likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Okay, I can see the clasp from this angle. Looks newer and if part of it is plastic then not so high of quality. This could be recycled.
    upload_2017-7-17_17-44-42.png

Blue circles, possibly sterling clasp.
    Red circle #2 - 1960s, I sell these for 25-30 without the earrings. You can get extenders so they are not so tight at the neck.
    upload_2017-7-17_17-40-10.png

kentworld, cxgirl and Lucille.b like this.
  13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Nice job with the specifications, Cluttered and agree with everyone's comments so far on this lot. Just one quick extra thought...

(Okay, I can see the clasp from this angle. Looks newer and if part of it is plastic then not so high of quality. This could be recycled.)

Wondering if those blue flower beads are indeed plastic. If yes, I agree that this doesn't have huge value, but I've had flower beads like this that were glass. If the light blue flower beads might be glass and not plastic, this could have some value. (You can usually distinguish glass from plastic by the way it sounds if you tap the bead lightly on glass -like a window, etc. Plastic make a bit of a "thud, glass has a sharper sound.) It sure looks like an older necklace with those 5 crystals dangling (reminds me of a Czech piece) but the photos are hard to see. Does the clasp unscrew? Kind of looks like a barrel clasp. Agree that if those flowers are plastic, could be a newer version of an old style. Easy enough, just double check those tiny light blue flower beads before donating.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    kentworld and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  14. Miky

Miky Never too late to change

The set with green chips in it reminds me of stuff we had in the early 70s.

kentworld likes this.
  15. kentworld

Thank you so much, Cluttered! I only had a very cursory glance, it looked like plastic, but I could be wrong. So, out of this group, the crystal necklace and earrings, the blue glass necklace possibly, the moonstone bracelet, and the "pearl" necklaces with the possible sterling clasps should be removed from the "recycle" group?

16. kentworld

Thank you, Lucille. Will ask them to double check the light blue beads. It did have a "older" look to it, but alas, I'm unsure and the photos were hasty.

17. clutteredcloset49

If you pull them are you going to sell them at yard sale or ebay?
    Yard sale I would be marking all of it and donating what doesn't sell.

If the blue necklace is part plastic, I wouldn't bother with it on ebay.

The pearl necklaces with sterling clasps should be rubbed on the teeth to make sure they are not real.
    Costume pearls generally don't sell well. The ones with sterling are often coated glass, sometimes nice glass, but mostly clambroth beads. Would only bother with them for those who do their own beading.

Here's a list of Stratton compacts and what are being asked on Etsy
    https://www.etsy.com/market/stratton_compact

I'd take a closer look at both of these, particularly the red one. Probably newer costume, but you want to make sure.
    upload_2017-7-18_10-53-41.png

kentworld likes this.
  18. clutteredcloset49

Oh and the black bracelet next to the moonstone appears to be snowflake agate. May only be a souvenir piece, but may also be in GF.

Don't forget to retrieve the cross and check for a stanhope as tie.dye mentioned.

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Always check for maker's marks too. Or a patent number. I just found a pre-WWII Crown Trifari crown in need of some TLC for basically nothing because it didn't have the maker's name. The bracelet above the moonstone one needs a closer inspection too; it looks like opal chips embedded in lucite. The Aurora Borealis set wouldn't sell for a pile, but beaders love getting their hands on the old necklaces.

20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

OK second pass.... Those multi-colored beads are probably ceramic; they were popular for a few years. The costume set with all the tiny bits glued in could be low-grade aquamarine. Those pieces were made with jade, peridot, citrine, etc and amazonite or aquamarine would go right along with them. The striped glass pins ...dunno; I'd bet money the glass itself is German, but the metal could be from anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted