Need help sorting bad from good (if any) - soapstone carvings

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jeff Drum, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I really, really need to do some sorting (add five more REALLYs from my wife) and I finally have some time. Start with these because I know next to nothing about them, except that there is a lot of great knowledge here about native american work. @komokwa @Mark London @Taupou anyone else?

All from estates, minor investment, just want to know if these are all inuit, and if so if anything good. I'll show one or two pics of each, then the sig. P6221366.JPG P6221367.JPG P6221368.JPG P6221369.JPG P6221370.JPG P6221372.JPG P6221373.JPG P6221377.JPG P6221376.JPG

Bakersgma likes this.
  2. Jeff Drum

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Peter & Asleep....( 4 lack of numbering them..) African....Shona likely.

Kenock...a Billiken ....good luck symbol....

Several details seem to be certain. Everyone agrees that the Billiken is a good-luck figure who represents "things as they ought to be." The designer of the Billiken also seems to be fact. Florence Pretz, a Missouri art teacher and illustrator, patented her "design for an image" of the jovial creature in 1908.

Sue Sky....Iroquois stone carving.......the Sky family breeds talented carvers...

Isapik-Smith.....bird & prey....... totally Inuit !

3911....... I'm unsure......there's a case to be mage for NA or African.....
    can u clean up the name ???

Jeff Drum, Figtree3, judy and 6 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Totally my favorite.

Jeff Drum and scoutshouse like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im totally craving the Sue Sky one.

6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I'd say only the loon (76678 on the bottom) is Inuit. The others appear to be African, other Native American, and "unidentified," meaning any tribal affiliation (if any) isn't known.

I've never had much luck in selling African stone carvings (although I don't sell on line). There just doesn't seem to be much awareness or interest. Inuit carvings, on the other hand, sell well, if priced right. But all of these I would consider more in the "decorative," rather than "collectible," category.

7. komokwa

8. komokwa

Henry Munyaradzi

“Swallow”

(Spring stone)
    Henry Munyaradzi,(1931-1998)

(Exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art, New York, in 1969

and 1972...world renowned.)

Weight: 70lbs
    Height: 14"
    Width: 8"
    Depth: 12"

Sculpture #: MU5

$30,000

[​IMG]

ya just gotta know which Shona sculptor to look for !!!!!!!

9. komokwa

Henry Munyaradzi
    [​IMG]

“Dove”

(Serpentine)
    Henry Munyaradzi

Weight: 20lbs
    Height: 7"
    Width: 14"
    Depth: 9"

# MU222

Price: $10,000

S O L D

CHSH, kyratango, Jeff Drum and 4 others like this.
  10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

kyratango, komokwa, Jeff Drum and 2 others like this.
  11. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

whoah

The last one, komo?

3911....... I'm unsure......there's a case to be mage for NA or African.....
    can u clean up the name ???

Jeff Drum likes this.
  12. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Plus the carvings in question are pretty small compared to the Sold examples...despite being photographed in the middle of a yardstick, (where the numbers you see are in the 20s.)

Jeff Drum and komokwa like this.
  13. komokwa

Hummm.....o....ok......my reading it as inclusive.....& wrong !!
    Mea Culpa !!!
    :sorry::kiss::kiss:

Scout....I'd come down on the side of African.......but I've seen some similar use of that face and eye style by NA carvers.......so I'd rather be right by saying I don't yet know....than be wrong by just throwing out a guess !! ok ?:happy::happy:

kyratango and Jeff Drum like this.
  14. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I was just trying to match things up. I'm slysdexic when it comes to scrolling through multiples.

15. komokwa

Oh....100% !!!
    I was just commenting on " There just doesn't seem to be much awareness or interest." !
    As in other art forms....the high end does generate a following.

16. komokwa

Then yes.........the last one !! :rolleyes::rolleyes::happy::happy::happy:

17. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

That explains it...I should also have said "similar to the ones in the photo" rather than simply "African" carvings!

And I agree, I do sometimes have a problem matching up "tops and bottoms" when several different items are shown in one post.

kyratango, Jeff Drum and komokwa like this.
  18. Jeff Drum

Let me start by REALLY apologizing for disappearing right after posting this. My life took a sudden and unexpected turn which prevented me from having any time to look in here. Things have settled down somewhat now (whew!), so I have some time again and promise not to disappear this time.

I really appreciate ALL the input. I had never heard of Shona, so that really opened my eyes. It sounds like these have all been ID'd except for the last one. And I can see how the last one seems similar to the other Shona ones. I will try to take a better pic, but already tried flour before taking the pic I showed, and I'm not sure what to try next (suggestions to clarify the signature would be appreciated). For now I'll say that it seems to read "CIFT" over "MO". I assume that doesn't help - maybe not worth spending the time on?

As to the Billiken (marked something like "Kenock"), where and who made those? Or did everyone make them?

In the meantime I have five more carvings that I guess I should start a new post for. One of the six in this post was Inuit - maybe I can do better than that in my next post.

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  19. komokwa

Life is what happens while you make plans........... no worries !

The Billiken is considered Alaska's good luck charm and first appeared around 1909. Billikens come in many different sizes and are crafted from various materials. ... For your billiken to bring you luck, always remember this billiken charm: "Rub his tummy, tickle his toes, good luck follows wherever he goes.

to clarify the signature
    4 u , not us...try a quick light rub with a moist cloth....
    the stone will darken...and maybe for a moment the the lines of the carved siggy will become clearer...

20. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

[​IMG]
    Reading GIFT ME :cyclops::bucktooth:?

Any Jewelry and Jeff Drum like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted