Need help to decipher Chinese? mark on bronze censer.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hamptonauction, Mar 13, 2020.

1. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

I have not been able to fiqure this mark, I checked all my sources. Sorry for the photos, these were the ones given to me. Is the seal in the correct direction? Another question has any one seen another censer of this type with four feet, all the ones I've seen are tripod, also this one has four bulges at each quadrant which I have not seen on another one. Any help appreciated.
    Chinese censor 2.jpg
    Chinese censor 3.jpg Chinese censor 1.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. hamptonauction

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

How big is it? What material is it made of?

5. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Sorry to say, that does not look like Chinese, Japanese or Korean to me. Nor does it fit with ancient forms of the languages like Seal Script or Bone Script either.
    I'll see if I can cross-reference a few other languages.

i need help likes this.
  6. Couch Potato Wannabe

Well, upon further inspection, though I still can't read it, I can see similarities in the 'writing' to that of Seal Script which is one of many ancient Chinese writing forms, however, I'd say if it is that, then it has had some styling choices of making the lines rather geometric which has the result in making it quite hard to read, as it also blends strokes together which would normally remain separate.

Therefore, I cannot say for certain it is that, only that some portions of it do resemble that.

Houseful and i need help like this.
  7. Couch Potato Wannabe

Okay, found it... Well, I should say, I believe I've found it.

Excerpt from Wikipedia.
    The vertical Phags-pa script is known as horyig (ཧོར་ཡིག་ hor-yig, "Mongolian letters"). A more ornamental version of the horyig style was used in the past to make personal seals. It is often found written vertically as opposed to horizontally.

patd8643, Houseful and i need help like this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  9. Couch Potato Wannabe

That one is a Xuande Deming Incense Burner.
    年宣大契德明

10. Couch Potato Wannabe

I believe the orientation should be like this image I'm including.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Horyig is explained in the name, hor means Mongolian and yig means writing. This is a specialized script style devised for the used of seals across both Mongolia and Tibet during the 13th century.

This neo-Mongolian/Tibetan script is always arranged in vertical columns. There are two widths of seal script, wide and narrow. From left to right the example shows the name ‘Horyig’ in columns of wide, narrow and as one single column in the wide formation.

Attached Files:

patd8643 and i need help like this.
  11. hamptonauction

Thank you for your help, much depreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted