Featured Need Help to ID Maker of Vaseline Glass Snack Plates

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Feb 4, 2019.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have a set of 4 vaseline glass oval snack plates with matching sherbets. I can't seem to ID the maker or age. I've tripped over the sherbets alone and the sets as well. One seller says Fostoria, another says Imperial Glass. Looked over on chatabout but couldn't find anything searching under vaselineANDsherbet or snackANDplate. The pattern is rather plain, except for the stem on the sherbets. The measurements are: Oval snack plate 8 1/2" x 6 3/4" and the sherbets 3 3/8" high x 4" diameter at the top. The base of the plates is nicely finished. Has anyone seen these who knows about them? I'm assuming they're American made, but I could be wrong. TY!

(could only upload 3 photos, the other 2 are too large)

DSCF3193.jpg DSCF3197.jpg DSCF3200.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

here is one in the Vaseline Glass Canary to Contemporary book by Dave Peterson - no size is given but says Sherbet, maker unknown but possibly Tiffin
    DSCF5357.jpg

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks, cxgirl, I'll try to run that down. I just checked in my Fostoria book by HMW and she shows a set in canary that Fostoria called a #2321 Mah Jongg Set. I like that moniker! But Fostoria's Plate is round, not oval, plus many other differences.

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Don! I found the Mah Jongg Set wording after I had already looked on chatabout. Should have gone back there.

The rest of the story is -- I found the plates at an auction in 2013. They came with crystal cups that didn't even fit the cup ring. I've been looking for the sherbets (or cups that fit) ever since. This past Saturday, I walked into a tag sale very close to home and there they were, 4 of them, on a side table. Living a quarter of a mile away in someone else's house. Five years later and finally found the rest of the set!! YAY! YAY! Doing a happy dance!

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

If you click the very next item in the link at chatabout, there is a swirled version in green. It's the same sherbet as shown in Dave Peterson's book as an unknown. I love the green version too!

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, you have to love that when it happens:)
    I'll make a note in my book for the id.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

It would be more to my luck to have sold them a month ago for a pittance. Well, what is it they say about a blind squirrel?

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted