Need help to identify ginger jar and jardiniere

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by HotRodLincoln, Jan 26, 2022.

1. HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln Member

BF450F07-4688-4621-91D5-878955810E0F.jpeg 1D0E217B-4E47-4DE9-B0F3-85B726AE75B5.jpeg 05705B0C-E5BE-4B3A-A6EB-84B9F1E0DBB7.jpeg 8DB0DCEE-FFAC-4914-B6BD-355D0B26D51B.jpeg Any help any of you could give me would be appreciated. I know nothing at all about these. Im guessing the first one is Chinese pottery and maybe ginger jar. It’s about 11” tall and 7 1/2” wide at widest point. Am I looking at the mark in the correct direction? I’ve gone cross eyed.
    Second one I believe is called a jardiniere. It’s 9 1/2” tall opening has a diameter of 9 1/2”. It has a couple of hair line cracks which to me just add character.
    Im interested to know if they are old, what the marks mean and who the makers are.

2. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

Chinese porcelain decorated in Macau. Date: probably c. 1970s or later.

3. Francisco G Kempton

2nd vase looks victorian or edwardian english

HotRodLincoln and NewEngland like this.
  4. HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln Member

Does that mean the crazing lines on the Chinese piece are added to make it look old?

5. Francisco G Kempton

It could be crackle glaze which is intentional and easy to create, or it could be crazing. Crazing is not usually desired, and as Made in Macau always marks their products, it is unlikley they would have delibertly created the crackle to make the product look older. It is more likely that the standards and quality of the clay and other ingredients was low, that the process was not to a high standard. The shapes would not be 'thrown' or soft formed but manufactured. This can lead to a more a more porous resulting porcelain that can lead to crazing.Usually indicative of poor quality porcelain process.

HotRodLincoln and Figtree3 like this.
  6. HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln Member

C045E496-A3BB-4AA5-8ACC-6E896B39D8A7.jpeg BD9C9DF0-BDED-49D0-867D-9BC3CD81192C.jpeg I thought I posted a reply but apparently I wasn’t logged in so I think I lost it. If both post show up - oops
    But anyways
    Thank you so much for your help. I’m trying to learn by researching different websites but those 2 had me stumped. I have very little knowledge of pottery so thank you for sharing your knowledge.
    If you would be so kind I do have one more - I can’t find this mark. It feels like it should be obvious but I’m not having any luck
    The piece is broke and probably trash but I still want to know about it C045E496-A3BB-4AA5-8ACC-6E896B39D8A7.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted