Featured Need help to identify wood etching.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 2BS, Feb 5, 2018.

1. 2BS

2BS 2blindsquirrels

2018-02-05 001 001 (600x800).jpg Hello all. I'm new to this forum, actually this is the first forum I have ever taken part in, so please let me know if I am not doing it correctly. Anyway, I am part of a team that is aptly called "2 Blind Squirrels". We find some interesting things and once in a while get really stumped. That said I thought it would be a good way to get started by asking the pros what they think about this item. This piece is just under 12" long and is signed but very faint so basically unreadable. Any input will help us narrow down the possibilities. All comments will be welcome. Thanks and hope to be talking to you soon. Debbie

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    More photos are always better especially of the back.
    ~
    Please ALWAYS do this and please go to edit and fix this photo before the edit option closes. >>>
    ~
    FULL IMAGE.jpg

3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to our forum!!! :happy::happy::happy:

We have a pretty diverse group here from all over the world so if I am wrong or someone else knows more about this item they will post it. Also, many of our members are not on-line daily so it may be a few days before anyone else chimes in, so be patient. :):)

My SWAG - Souvenir from a trip to Holland done by 2 blokes in the shed.

BTW the end of that comment is a favorite saying of one our members when there is a slim chance of determining who made something. ;):D:D

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I forgot to ask, what does the back of this piece look like?

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  5. 2BS

2BS 2blindsquirrels

I apologize. This is the first pic I have transferred from my phone and it was not a labor of love. :arghh: Let me get a few more pics up there. Thanks again. Debbie

6. KingofThings

I have a frame like this!!!:)
    Much darker though.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Welcome! I believe that's a form of pyrography. If you google Flemish Art you will probably be able to find similar plaques.

8. 2BS

2BS 2blindsquirrels

Peggy, no markings at all and I think the 2 blokes in the shed is spot on. I was just wondering. It is 3 thin layers of wood and still only 1/4" thick. I will try to get a new pic up shortly. Thanks, Debbie

9. 2BS

2BS 2blindsquirrels

Thanks for the Flemish direction. I honestly had no idea where to start. Debbie

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's actually a company called Flemish Art and many of this type of pieces bear their mark. Just something to look for:)

[​IMG]

11. KingofThings

Wow! Great to know!
    My frame is crude but I love it. :)

12. 2BS

2BS 2blindsquirrels

WOW, right on the mark. Thanks again.

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Pyrography was very popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Companies like Flemish Art made some, and also there were lots made by hobbyists, and unmarked. I like yours with the windmill.

14. 2BS

2BS 2blindsquirrels

Thank you. Going to oil it and see what happens to my $1 investment. Debbie.

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For a buck you couldn't miss. This may well have been done by one bloke at a kitchen table. Kits for this were sold all over the place, and people made their own. Pieces ranged from things the size of pocket watches up to tables and chairs. This was probably never closer to Holland than the current location of the Holland Tunnel.

16. KingofThings

Ha!!!!
    Clifford may or may not have found that amusing though.
    ;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, 2BS.
    It looks like someone had a lot of fun making this. In a shed.;)
    Don't know what Flemish Quality Standard entails. Don't think the Flemish know either.:confused:
    You're right. Or to Flanders. And I don't think the windmill ever saw a day of action, impossible with that construction. But to hang on someone's wall and look pretty is good enough.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME 2BS !!! ... Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted