Need help with a comic strip template

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chris Mount, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Found this today 19 dollars 250mm x 100mm template of a comic strip. Question is anyone recognize the strip tough to Google it have tried names etc to no avail. Also what do you reckon the age is when did they stop printing like this look forward to anyone opinions chris 15133233514463.jpg 15133233515044.jpg

2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Looks like a tarzan strip but can't be sure.
    15133233514463.jpg

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Waiting on the bank stood what kind of warriors? Can't quite read it. 'savage(?)___' I'm rooting for the lion.

judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. Chris Mount

5. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Figtree3, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  6. Bronwen

Barotze is a strong clue. Hope the link takes you to what I am seeing.

From the description of the book Burnham: King of Scouts:

Frederick Russell Burnham (1861-1947), an American from California, taught scouting to Robert Baden-Powell, inspiring B-P to eventually found the Boy Scouts. Burnham went to Africa in 1893 to scout for Cecil Rhodes on the Cape-to-Cairo Railway. He was a scout in the Matabele War when that engine of death - the Maxim gun - was introduced. Burnham gained fame when he survived the British equivalent of Custer's Last Stand.

Bakersgma, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  7. buyingtime777

judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  8. Bronwen

Starting to suspect this was something printed for the Boy Scouts to tell them the story of how the organization was founded.

Bakersgma, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  9. Bronwen

A snippet from aforementioned book:

upload_2017-12-15_4-9-53.png

If the story about Fred & the Barotze warriors being told in comic book form is not based on this, pretty big coincidence.

Bakersgma and Joshua Brown like this.
  10. buyingtime777

I wonder if the Simba comic strip wove factual events in the story? "Simba" and the lion references really jumped out at me because I vaguely remembered Simba in those comics from years ago although they were not my first choice when I had 10 cents burning a hole in my pocket for a comic.

Joshua Brown and Bronwen like this.
  11. Chris Mount

You guys are insane and exploring all you'e given me
    bottom right hand corner has "to be continued" so did comics have that or newsapers

12. Chris Mount

Im With you looks very similar maybe was placed in a newspaper re previous post

Joshua Brown likes this.
  13. buyingtime777

lloyd249, Joshua Brown and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

It has always been my understanding that 'simba' is simply the word for lion in Swahili. They are using it in the comic to warn that a lion is coming, not naming a particular lion.

Another snippet. Burnham is back in the US. His audience includes Teddy Roosevelt:

upload_2017-12-15_4-31-32.png

:penguin::cow::yawn::joyful::nailbiting::penguin::headphone::headphone::inpain::joyful::stinkyfeet::pics::oldman::android::borg::astronaut:

15. Bronwen

Looks as though he & the author H. Ryder Haggard were acquainted. Burnham's entire life reads like one of Haggard's adventure stories.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  16. Chris Mount

Ok found a site re the jungle comics they only have 4 squares wide not 6 so in conclusion we have determined possibly that this was the story of Fred as stated earlier on the founding of the boy scouts and possibly a newspaper strip given the amount of squares size of block and the ' to be continued.'
    Pretty good I reckon

Joshua Brown and buyingtime777 like this.
  17. buyingtime777

I wonder since this is the founding father of the Boy Scouts if this might have been put in comic form for the Boy Scouts at one time?

18. Bronwen

Baden-Powell founded the Boy Scouts but Burnham was a big influence on him. See post #8 of this thread. :happy:

19. Chris Mount

Possibly, it also opens up more options for collectors maybe boy scouts (thats if anyone collects anything for boy scouts) and comics.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  20. Bronwen

If??!!!! You only have to check eBay.

Draft saved Draft deleted