Need Help With A Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Amin, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Amin

Amin New Member

Hello everyone
    I have recently come across this painting and have trouble identifying the painter, its origin, whether it's original or a replica, pretty much everything about it!
    If you happen to know anything or guess anything, please share it with me.
    Here are some photo s by the way:
    photo_2017-07-30_20-45-56.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Amin

Amin New Member

3. Amin

Amin New Member

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello Amin, welcome to the forum.
    Your lovely lady is painted in the 19th century Orientalist style.
    Could you tell us more about where you found it? Is there a signature hidden behind the frame?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My guess is original and maybe eastern Mediterranean - Turkey, Macedonia, like that.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Or Western European Orientalist.
    The bolero jacket is original to the eastern Med, the jewellery is not. And I would expect dangling earrings. The little hat could be Ottoman.
    The girl's hair looks like a fashionable western haircut of the time, she just let it down for the portrait.
    Painters in Western Europe would have a few authentic costume pieces, add any jewellery and other details for an oriental look, and call the painting 'Odalisk' or something like it.
    Not authentic oriental, but lovely and good quality.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    love the painting. Cleft chins are rare on women. They are a very dominate gene on men.
    greg

Houseful and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. Any Jewelry

Yes, 1880s-1900 western European hair fashion with cropped hair front and top, like queen Alexandra:
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Is it just me,or does that surface look too flat ? Are there brushstrokes Im just not seeing? Any pics of the back ?

11. Amin

Amin New Member

Thanks man, apparently the signature is the one in the third photo, can you identify it?

12. Amin

Amin New Member

it seems that the signature is this; can anyone identify it? photo_2017-07-30_20-46-09.jpg

13. Any Jewelry

Do you mean next to her necklace? Are you sure? A very strange place for a signature, I thought it was raised, impressed through the back at first.
    Sorry, can't make anything of it.

14. Any Jewelry

An oil print on canvas maybe? They already did those in the 19th century.

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was thinking she might be meant to resemble the Empress Elizabeth of Russia, but the hairdo is wrong. If I were guessing wildly, I'd be thinking German or Austrian.

(@gregsglass - I have the cleft chin thing going, inherited from my dad along with his flat giant feet)

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think those raised lines are damage to the canvas.

I don't see this as being a particularly Western treatment myself. It is a bit naive.

A good close up of the necklace, or the hair piece might help to determine if it's a print or original painting. You're just looking for someplace that might show a bit of brushwork. Even the flattest paintings usually have a bit.

I doubt it's a print. Similar paintings were done in series as prints - Beauty of this or that - Currier and Ives type stuff, but I doubt this is of that ilk.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Debora likes this.
  17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Evelyb30,
    You are only the third woman I know to have the cleft chin. I have the giant feet in my family, I wear a size 14 sneaker. I am only 6'1". However I have small hands. My grandfather could pick up six bricks in each hand. My Mom and sister were both taller than me even though it was a ¼".
    greg

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The décolletage alone points to the West.

Debora

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

How many Western women have a salamander crawling up their decolletage?? I'm thinking that's symbolic of something.

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Unpleasant, unwanted and slightly menacing physical manifestation of the male gaze.

Debora

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted